Lifting a 1991 Navajo need answers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifting a 1991 Navajo need answers

91MTnavajo

Reaction score
City, State
Bozeman, Montana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Mazda Navajo
Hey guys I'm looking into lifting my 1991 Mazda Navajo this spring I would like to be able to fit 33's underneath of it but the problem is I don't know anything about lifts i'm looking to spend about $2000 excluding wheels and tires and I need to know should I buy a lift from rough country or skyjacker or should I do it custom I'm not looking to do extreme rock crawling it's more of a rough trail riding vehicle for in the mountains messing around and of course mudding but will a rough country or skyjacker lift the heavy duty enough or do I need to have everything custom done and take it to four wheel shop I already have a custom-built grill guard on the front and I'm getting a winch on it this week but I need to know what Lifts how much and what else need done do I need to get different driveshafts and will I need wheel spacers? Any info would be awesome!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also if anyone has some picture of an explorer with 33s I would love to see it I haven't seen very many

Click on the link in my signature here.. then you can see my explorer from stock to a budget lift and 32's, then 33's, then a 5,5" Superlift kit was installed and 35's

It is tons of info here on the forum.. :thumbsup:

2" lift on 32" KM2's gets basic trail rig approval from me.
A 2" lift can be done in one day for $130. $60 for the alignment.
Spend the rest on bushings, ball joints, bearings, manual hubs, etc.

Here's mine gettin'er done.

ffd17547-0af0-420b-a282-c623a17d05c8_zps334d3665.jpg

45 miles of this......and much worse.

I had no trouble run'n with the blue one here on 35's. (he was surprised)

IMG_20140515_141538_zpsdd95bccf.jpg

The jeep with the hood up broke his spring perch on the trial with us. We mannaged to drag him of the trail. :)
IMG_20140515_161813_zpsfd6c49bf.jpg

Then you can afford to paint (Plasti-dip) it! Yes, this is the same rig as the first pic.
IMG_20150516_160749_zps4dsok7dv.jpg

I also have approximately 2" of lift. Skyjacker coils, add a leaf, and custom shackles. I run 31s but 33's will work fine with a little fender trimming. I am soon going to a 6" skyjacker lift. I bought used brackets, ordered new coils and leaf spring perches for the spring over conversion for under 500.

Thanks guys I already did a hub conversion to manual hubs and a Manual transfer case will I need to lengthen my driveshaft for a 2" lift?

also will the 2" lifting coils and add a leaf be enough to squeeze 33s on it With some fender trimming? And will my driveshafts need to be longer? And also will I need bigger shocks thanks!

33s will fit but you're most likely going to have to trim the front fenders to completely avoid tire rub when turning or flexed out. Your stock driveshafts and shocks will work, but if you plan on upgrading shocks it would't hurt to get some with 2" more travel.

Here is my rig on 35s and i only have 1300 into it. Including the paint and i drive it 70mph+ everyday no problems

Attachments

• 20151026_101351.jpg
    20151026_101351.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 159

Back