Limited Slip Diff's & Engine Mods for more "Power" for 96 Exp.?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Limited Slip Diff's & Engine Mods for more "Power" for 96 Exp.??

S

Sux2bu101

I have a 96 Explorer Sport (2dr, "auto"4wd, 4.0L). With this "auto" 4wd, can you put in Limited Slip, Posi, or an automatic locking Locker units in the front diff?? I have a CJ-7 with Posi rear and Locked front, can I do this to my Explorer too?

As for the engine, what are some good mods to increase HP? I just put a K&N filtercharger in it. Any other ideas

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out this site thoroughly, there are lots of things to do. Increased size throttle body, and airflow sensors, computer chips, tons of after market exhaust kits. There are lots of after market transfer cases, and locking diffs as well. Have fun!!

------------------
John '95 XLT

OKAY! Thanks. This site is great for looking up all sorts of stuff and anwsers for questions for Explorers. I have a CJ-7 and there is a whole bunch of sites to look up for it, I never thought I would be able to find a site like I have for my Jeep.

But on to another matter. Where is a good place to get Lockers, and what type is good for the Explorer? Is there any opinions on the Lock Right Automatic locking Lockers?
Thanks

------------------
Sux2bu101
96 Explorer Sport

I have a Auburn Posi unit in the rear of my 94 sport. So far the unit has worked great. I think all of the information for this has been deleted. But there are a few people on the board who are using the Auburn and love them.

For engine mods, the best bang for the buck would be to add headers and an free flowing exhaust. Combine this with a new set of plugs and performance wires.

Where can you get the headers for the 96 Explorers, I have seen them for the early Explorers but not for after 94?

------------------
Sux2bu101
96 Explorer Sport

You might want to try Dead Link Removed to see if they might have headers. Also, check out the "Explorer Resources" button on this site; one of them might have some headers. The 4.0L engine should be pretty much the same as on the older ones, but they may have changed some things such as O2 sensor locations or whatever. Also, with the newer front suspensions from 95 on, headers from the older 4.0 may not fit the engine bay.

As far as the Auburn that Brett mentioned, I have one on mine and I am very happy with it. I still haven't used it in the dirt, but it has worked very well in the snow and on wet roads. In my opinion, it's only a notch below a locker for traction, but doesn't exhibit any negative side effects that I can see. If you do the vast majority of your driving on the road, the Auburn is a good choice. If you do a lot of off-road driving, you may be interested in a locker. Hopefully, someone here can give you advice on those.

BTW, I got my Auburn from Southwest Ford in Texas over the internet, though there are many who sell it. I believe that it is a Ford Motorsports part, even though it is made by Auburn Gear Company. I don't know that dealer's web address off hand, but you should be able to find it in a search. It was installed by a highly recommended local shop here in Ohio.

------------------
Tom

Borla, JBA, BBK and some other make headers for late models.

Keith

I run an Auburn in the rear of my 91 XLT and a Trac-Lok in the front. Have put about 30K miles on them and am very pleased with their performance. Actually does really well off-road.

Not sure about a 96 with auto 4WD. I do know that on the 91-94, the only limited slip that is available for the inverse Dana 35 is the Dana Trac-Lok. The only other options are lockers.

DOGMAN

There are some real good headers and exhaust kits offerd at www.cruisers-truck.com. They are offered for all years

Back