Looking at purchasing an Ex Sport.. few questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at purchasing an Ex Sport.. few questions

xlr82sxs

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 F250 Powerstroke
New to the forum, not new to the ecoboost platform.. Looking to buy an explorer sport soon and had a few questions.

I had a fully loaded ‘13 Taurus sho a few years back with factory hid headlights. Do all year ex sports come with hids as well or did certain years only come with halogens? Through my search, I’ve noticed a few with halogens, but when I see an ex sport on the road it seems they all have hids.

Also, any years to stay away from? This will be the wife’s ride and expecting our first born in March, so want the thing to be reliable.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
None of the Sport models came with factory HID headlights. They all had halogen. Starting in 2016, the Sport came with LED low beams and halogen high beams.
I'm guessing that you are looking at a previously owned Sport. I don't believe that there is any specific year that was one to stay away from.
There are several existing threads that contain info as to what to check for in used Explorers. There is a 'Search' feature in the upper right that can be useful once you get familiar with its use.

Peter

First of all Welcome Aboard! Come on in the waters fine!! Congratulations on being new dad!

For 2018 The Sport shows this as standard.

Halogen reflector high-beam headlamps with LED low-beams.....ALLMODELS

Headlamps – LED signature lighting...……………………………..XLT/Limited/Sport/Platinum
LED Fog Lamps...…………………………………….Limited/Sport/Platinum...………..(Optional XLT Package 201A)

They do not specifically say HID for Sport but I am wondering if LED might be brighter than Halogen Projector Beam or HID? I know mine are good and provide excellent forward and down visibility. Beam to the side is very good but the Fog Lights will increase side view.

As for what years to stay away from I can't speak specifically for pre 2018 but the SYNC3 is by most standards a very major improvement over the SYNC with MFT. Styling wise 2011-19 models are pretty close. The 2015 was the first major redesign where it went to the lattice/picket fence style grille. SYNC3 came around 2015 and some models got it as options for the 2016 model year in some fleets. Taurus for example was one of the 2016 models. I am not sure when Explorer added as available option but my guess is around 2016-current.

Every model year has some quirks but for the most part 2011-2019 seems to be overall good reliability and durability.

One major Note for the SYNC3 models. With the SYNC3 you lose a couple of major items. SD and AUX input. I used the SD card for navigation only and didn't use the AUX much so not a major loss. SYNC3 updates are usually done over Wi-Fi or USB, including NAV. You also go back to 1 USB DATA port (Music). The other is for Apple Car Play/Android Auto and the two rear ones are according to the brochure are charging only.

Also as part of impending federal regulations the B/U Camera is standard all models. SYNC uses the center instrument panel 4" LCD display. SYNC3 uses the same center instrument panel display but you get double the image display area. (8')

Overall most Sport models are fairly similar and well equipped across the model year line. Option package content might have changed but most of the core items in the package are fairly consistent.

Your call on what model year to get Personally if you can get the 2018 jump. I believe the 0% financing offer just ended.....Ironically just after my purchase but oh well. If used then probably a low mileage CPO 2016-17.

One major note and of course trust but verify. Sport Models at least 2018 are 4WD Only. This will be a good selling point especially in Wisconsin. Even with the electronic controller the 4WD system is driver selectable so you can decide the mode for conditions, Snow, Grass, Mud, Sand, Gravel etc...

Back