Looking for stl file for the cup instead of the shifter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for stl file for the cup instead of the shifter

16vcabman

Reaction score
City, State
Ortonville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 PIU
Hello, I am in need of the stl file for the cup that goes in the console in place of where the shifter would be on a civilian console. I have one, this just pushes in the console after it's assembled. I am looking for the file that creates a cup that goes in before the top of the console goes on. I have seen this on some existing trucks. No lettering in bottom, just the cup. I already have the cup for the knob. I have limited access to a 3d printer and want to finish my 14 PIU / Explorer. Thanks in advance!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I am in need of the stl file for the cup that goes in the console in place of where the shifter would be on a civilian console. I have one, this just pushes in the console after it's assembled. I am looking for the file that creates a cup that goes in before the top of the console goes on. I have seen this on some existing trucks. No lettering in bottom, just the cup. I already have the cup for the knob. I have limited access to a 3d printer and want to finish my 14 PIU / Explorer. Thanks in advance!!

These are the only options for you at the moment.
-Here is a cup that sits on top of the cavity.
-Here is one that attempts to utilize the clips from the plastic portion that held the leather sleeve. This one is like what you are describing, there's a version of the file in there that doesn't have lettering.

What I did was alter the second one to be deeper to fit my phone and wallet, the downside to this design is that the clips that the author used don't really fit very well and will require some altering to fit. If you dig into the searches you can find an img of a better design, unfortunately the original author never posted the file.

I'm working on fixing the latter design with better clips, This is what I whipped up this morning. This *should* settle into the grooves alot better, but I'm printing this test piece right now to see. Let me know what you all think!

So what service 3d prints this, because with covid the only way around this is to buy a 3d printer and learn a new hobby. ANY direction helps.

So what service 3d prints this, because with covid the only way around this is to buy a 3d printer and learn a new hobby. ANY direction helps.

I would rather just purchase these and be done for now lol I cant learn 3d printing right now hahaha

Alright! After about 4 or 5 test prints to get the measurements right, I've finished altering the GrabCAD model for a much tighter and solid fit to the shift cup.

This model is 3 1/4" deep in the center, deep enough to store a standard size wallet with about 1/4" sticking out, and a standard phone with roughly 1" sticking out. The snaps started out a bit more dramatically shaped, but I realized just regular wedges will do just fine. I measured the depth from the bottom lip of the rim of the shift hole to the bottom of each hole that would accept the snaps, how far out it needed to stick out, and the width, so it's a pretty tight fit. Here is how it sits in the console with a standard sized pen for size

Here is the link for anyone interested in printing it for themselves. I can also print them for you if you are interested. Thanks everyone!

Thanks for your major help with this. You should sell it as there are a lot of us that work on these but don't know or want to know how to make it. Offer it on this site fs and reap the rewards.

I guess if you wanted to take the time you could also make this out of sheet metal with a decent welder. Would probably more time and effort than its worth though unless you were doing a whole custom dash with sheet metal though. Just a random thought.

I guess if you wanted to take the time you could also make this out of sheet metal with a decent welder.

The next logical step IMO would be to use my 3d printed part as a base for a mold. Using a bench top injection molder and pellets, uv resin mold, or aluminum with a sandcast mold if you really wanted to/drank enough soda cans to justify it :dpchug:
You could definitely tack together the cup though you'd have to pull the measurements yourself. The main issue with 3d printing these is time. Currently the shift cup for me sits at around 7 hours with a .6 nozzle with an average speed of 79 mm/s.

Thanks for your major help with this. You should sell it as there are a lot of us that work on these but don't know or want to know how to make it. Offer it on this site fs and reap the rewards.

Of course bud! I'm just glad I could contribute finally in some way. Currently I'm moving to a new state today, but once im done, got the printers set back up, and I send the first one out for a review, I will be taking orders if that's allowed here. Help me fund buying a PTU and some jackstands so I can attempt to swap mine out lol!

The next logical step IMO would be to use my 3d printed part as a base for a mold. Using a bench top injection molder and pellets, uv resin mold, or aluminum with a sandcast mold if you really wanted to/drank enough soda cans to justify it :dpchug:
You could definitely tack together the cup though you'd have to pull the measurements yourself. The main issue with 3d printing these is time. Currently the shift cup for me sits at around 7 hours with a .6 nozzle with an average speed of 79 mm/s.

Of course bud! I'm just glad I could contribute finally in some way. Currently I'm moving to a new state today, but once im done, got the printers set back up, and I send the first one out for a review, I will be taking orders if that's allowed here. Help me fund buying a PTU and some jackstands so I can attempt to swap mine out lol!
I totally miss read that you currently have a 3D printer, your path makes much more sense now haha. However i do like your idea of aluminum and polymer pellets as a resin. Is there a way to make the shifter slide cover from that machine? I am not sure exactly what they call that, just the plastic piece that goes around the shifter to keep junk from falling down into the console. On a 06 Merc Mounty.

Currently I'm moving to a new state today, but once im done, got the printers set back up, and I send the first one out for a review, I will be taking orders if that's allowed here. Help me fund buying a PTU and some jackstands so I can attempt to swap mine out lol!
You would need a Vendor or at least an Elite Explorer Membership to offer items for sale.

Peter

Back