MAF Code Question? What did I make happen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MAF Code Question? What did I make happen?

farmtruckman

Reaction score
City, State
ellensburg, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 xlt
:thumbsup:Flushed radiator the other day on my 95 with 4.0 OHV. Replaced thermostat and sensor also. While intake hose off, sprayed some carb cleaner in throttle body also. Took long trip yesterday and picked up a few codes at the end of the drive. 113, intake air temp too high, 157 MAF temp high, and 172 HEGO too lean. Did I cause this? with carb cleaner or do you think it was just due. Long drive in cool/cold weather at time. Any suggestions?

Think the carb cleaner may have something to do with that, I am afraid, you may have to remove the maf for cleaning- with a few cotton buds and the carb cleaner, be gentle as you will be cleaning the fine bare wires in the unit. you have I believe another sensor in the throttle body also, for now I cant think what its called,(having coffee depravation symptoms). Would think you would have to clean that also- its never a great idea to use carb cleaner as freely as that in a car without carbs, just dip cotton buds in the fluid after you spray some in the cap from the can and dip then use to clean sensitive electronic sensors- let me know how you got on and if it worked out.

Dont forget to unhook the battery for 20 mins to clear codes, then drive for a while then check for codes again. if you dont do this, the ecu will think the faults still exist inspite of the fact that you may have fixed them!

BIGHVM,

Thanks for quick response. I did clear codes overnight and will drive later. You are right, there is another sensor in the air intake closer to throttle body that I had to disconnect when removing air intake tube to access thermostat. Will clean MAF (carefully) later on. Too cold right now. Snow still on the ground in eastern WA. :)

Back