Major Buying / Shopping for an STA Lesson to Learn From | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Major Buying / Shopping for an STA Lesson to Learn From

ingenuitor

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 SR5 > Rust Free
They are a great truck for sure in the looks departs and has incredible power when you want it, it's looks and drives like a sports car in a suv sub truck version. That is my quick review on the STA after today's first and only test drive as you can't find them with ease at all.

We just tested an 2010 Blue STA today @ Carmax, I will post a video here soon and I'm here to tell you it was thrashed visually in every way, the ac did not work well and so so many issues with the interior it's making me question everything now about even buying one at all.

This model even had the nav unit and in my mind it was all but useless, way to small to use and a super outdated UI.

After all this legwork, searching the globe literately and all this time, we are now also thinking about looking for something else just after the only test drive of an STA we sat and drove in ever.

We did test drive ST's and liked the feel, power and overall functions, thus figured an STA would be much nicer with leather and all the upgrades.

It drove great, super fast responsive engine with 48k on the clock, we loved the idea of the look, but the quality was lacking in every way other than performance. From what we saw today I would not give you even $10k for this one, but that's me, in my mind it was not in good condition at all and again a video will be posted here soon.

Never ever ever trust videos or photos, it looks worse in person for sure ever single time.

And they want $29k with zero room to work, they are Carmax. It was one of the worse used cars I have even seen in my life.

We are beyond let down and can't believe our eyes of how bad this looked and smelled and so on. They look so good online, but this one was really trashed out, even ink on the ceiling, seat rips all over, the seats seems super cheaply made, the door panels were sticky and all kinds of glitter all over the place, the rubber around the windows were cracked, the paint were it was good has some of worse orange peal I have ever seen, the bed cover was really bad, the bed was all but new, but we even found rust on the roof and deep scratches on the roof, hood, all doors, bumpers, yeah yeah its a used car, but not for me, ever, not this one in that condition.

The worse part, to be objective, is you can't see every issue and or the degree of the issue in the video or photos I took, it's amazing how bad this looks in person. It's like a bad dream and you are glad you woke up from it.

All the rims were trashed with curb rash, cheap tires not worth anything, broken parts, smoked in, I could go on for ever, rusted seat rails, so many condition issue, but let the video and pics help tell the story a little and then everyone can flame me.

Still you can't see it, you need your naked eye to see it, nothing else is as good ever, so this is my warning, never ever buy any car remotely unless you see it in person yourself. We are very let down, but glad we did not spend $20+k on something we would have ended up hating because of how it wears and or looked, smelled, functioned and so on.

If Carmax sales that STA for $29k I will be simple amazed and not understand why for a second how anyone would ever allow themselves to pay so much for something that is not in great condition for that price.

We are rethinking everything now about the STA and may end up with a full loaded F150, Ram 1500 Limited or a Ridgeline or maybe even a Colorado or Tacoma, not even 100% sure yet, but we are rethinking the STA for sure after today's first and only test drive of an STA.

We thought we could buy an STA with tons of videos and photos remotely but after what we saw today, that would not be a smart decision at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep looking, I have a '10 STA with 49K on the clock. I bought it used from a dealer about two years ago and the truck is in really nice condition, looks as good as my wife's '16 Explorer Platinum inside and out. Surely there are still some nice ones out there. BTW, I would not take $29k for mine, too hard to replace. Maybe when the new Rangers are available more STAs will become available for a better price.

Keep looking, I have a '10 STA with 49K on the clock. I bought it used from a dealer about two years ago and the truck is in really nice condition, looks as good as my wife's '16 Explorer Platinum inside and out. Surely there are still some nice ones out there. BTW, I would not take $29k for mine, too hard to replace. Maybe when the new Rangers are available more STAs will become available for a better price.

I think we are done, the engine is great with crazy power the second you need it, but I can't get past the way it wears. In the end we are looking for a like new pristine highly cared for vehicle that is 100% original and would need very little paint work or interior work, it must be garage kept, we need to know it's history. So this is sending us down a completely different path and considering a different class and size of vehicle now.

Never seeing a STA, did not help either and now we see how it looks after just 6 years, I have an 6 Speed Manual 07 TL Type S that looks great years later and after all but 90K on the clock with our husky in the back seat, seat protector, < best you can find for sure > door protectors and the back still looks new. The Acura just wears better and thus lasts longer IMHO and it was used when we purchase it. We can't get past how things are made and we always buy used because of this, so maybe we will go after a used F150 Platinum now or FX4 or some Ram 1500 Limited, I have no idea yet.

See we do not buy cars very often at all, so we want to buy something that will last and wear well for 10+ years. Unless the 2019/9 Ranger Limited ends up being some great truck, we love everything we see about that one so far and even looked into importing it from Mexico and well that is a crazy venture for sure, costing way to much to convert things, trade agreements are really hard to get past when it's new, as our great USA wants 25% if the car is made in the last 3 years. :eek:

Totally understand Ingenuitor. Honda/Acura don't wear well either though!
http://prntscr.com/brsfo0

Some people even call them...throw away cars!

Sounds like you had the opportunity to see a poorly kept STA...it happens.

Your needs also sound like a new car is definitely the way for you to go. Hope you find the vehicle you truly are happy with.

John

Totally understand Ingenuitor. Honda/Acura don't wear well either though!
http://prntscr.com/brsfo0

Some people even call them...throw away cars!

Sounds like you had the opportunity to see a poorly kept STA...it happens.

Your needs also sound like a new car is definitely the way for you to go. Hope you find the vehicle you truly are happy with.

John

Hahaha it's all junk IMHO, but we drove an 2013/14 Fully Loaded F150 FX4 with 22k on the clock yesterday and yeah that we loved, it was also used. We are making an offer on it, but it would end up somewhere around $26-28k OTD and it was a $51k truck new, one owner, they were an accountant, so it was not beat at all. Plus they just put a brand new set of Michelin LTX M/S2 with clean 20 inch rims and an Xliner spray in with a tight bed cover that clips down in place.

So far we are going this route unless we find something else like it, like a left over 13/14, which I did find, just not sure of the price yet. Loved the STA, compact, quick, just bad ass to look at, so zippy, it really is like a sports car in a suv truck design. But thing are changing fast and Ford does have a ton to offer these days in the same price relative range of a clean STA.

2014fordf150fx4interior-l-4b1f296453c2f54f.jpg

2012-Ford-F-150-FX_Appearance-i02-800.jpg

3677d1381360210-2013-fx4-eco-boost-ecoboost-.jpg

Then when the Ranger Limited is out and tested fully in 2020, with our flying truck, we buy that, if we like it. So for now, we go after a beast FX4 and enjoy that and who the hell knows whats next.

Maybe a Yuke Dump Truck or a big old 3500 lol.

0804dp_02_z%2B10_largest_dump_trucks%2Bliebherr_ti_274.jpg

I do agree with you tho most cars do end up in the trash over time, even the FX4 would have the same fate or they would never sell more cars. :)

Thanks for all the help, my only regret now is that I should have bought and sold an STA with all this invested time. I found one for $21K OTD, but it was not going to be easy to get it here and I would have to wait 3 months to sell it, based on federal laws or I would have to pay 25% on top of the price.

I found one for $21K OTD, but it was not going to be easy to get it here and I would have to wait 3 months to sell it, based on federal laws or I would have to pay 25% on top of the price.

What are these federal laws you speak of?

Back