MFT update trouble and help needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT update trouble and help needed

detroit

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited 4WD
Hello everyone! I apologize that my first thread is one looking for help instead of an introduction, but I really need some assistance.

I recently purchased my wife a 2015 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD, which she loves. I have been driving it for the last few days since my F250 is currently getting ARP head studs and a South Bend double disc clutch installed. I hopped on the Ford site to check and see if there were any recalls for the Explorer and noticed an update available for the My Ford Touch software.

I followed the instructions to the letter, using an 8GB USB drive formatted in FAT32, unpacked the .zip file into the root folder and went to install the update. At around the 10% mark, the display stated that there was a problem detected with the USB drive. This is the full screen dialog:

"Updating SYNC Image

Problem detected with USB Storage Device. Please contact SYNC support or try to download the update again. Then plug the USB Storage Device with new update files into SYNC to continue upgrade."

When I start the vehicle, I am greeted with the following message:

"Updating SYNC Image

Waiting for the USB Storage Device."

I downloaded the update again to a larger 64GB USB drive, formatted it to exFAT and got the problem detected message immediately upon inserting the USB drive. I reformatted both and did the steps again with each USB drive several times getting the same result. It doesn't even try to start the update, it just gives me the problem detected message. I cannot seem to access the main screen at all, which doesn't allow me to fully control the climate, phone, backup camera, do a complete reset, etc. I contacted the SYNC chat on Ford's site and they are telling me I have to take it in to the dealer, which I have scheduled for next Wednesday. This really is upsetting since I know they are going to charge me a boatload to service it, and I got into this mess by completely following Ford's instructions from Ford's site, using Ford's software.

My wife is also going to kill me...so there's that. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To update this post, I was able to get the update done using the .zip file provided in another thread in this section. Thank you for the help!

Can you please direct me to that link? Having the exact same issue

Can you please direct me to that link? Having the exact same issue
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm guessing this is for your 2013 Focus? Have you checked your account to see if there is an update available?

Peter

Yeah that's how this started. I was getting the update from the Ford website

Yeah that's how this started. I was getting the update from the Ford website
Okay, thanks. I guess I misunderstood the post. The member you asked hasn't been seen here since March 4, 2019 and I don't have the answer.

Peter

Yeah I just replied on the off chance that he'd get an email notification

Back