• Register Today It's free!

Miles to empty on Hybrid

jpeckinp

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'21 Limited RWD Hybrid
So a new issue popped up last night. Our '21 Explorer Hybrid was at a 1/4 tank and saying 35 miles to empty. The low fuel light never came on. My wife filled up and the gauge went to full but the MTE only went up to 93 miles. I told her check it again in the morning and see if it corrected itself. It didn't.

So any clues how to fix this? I thought maybe unplug the battery like most cars, but does this work on a hybrid?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So a new issue popped up last night. Our '21 Explorer Hybrid was at a 1/4 tank and saying 35 miles to empty. The low fuel light never came on. My wife filled up and the gauge went to full but the MTE only went up to 93 miles. I told her check it again in the morning and see if it corrected itself. It didn't.

So any clues how to fix this? I thought maybe unplug the battery like most cars, but does this work on a hybrid?
Does the fuel gauge show full? How many gallons did it take?
My W.A.G. is it will clear itself like many other modern car mysteries...

Oh yeah it's full I think it was 17 or 18 gallons to fill. And the gauge does show full.

Yeah I saw that TSB. I'm not really worried about it since the gauge still works. My wife on the other hand has called me 3 times about it.
Well it still isn't working. Tried removing negative terminal on front 12v battery left it off for about 20min and did nothing. Might have to figure out how to get to back battery.

SSM 50622 2020 - 2022 Explorer/Aviator/Police Interceptor Utility - Distance To Empty Inaccurate - Underestimating Actual Range
Some 2020 - 2022 Explorer/Aviator/Police Interceptor Utility vehicles may display a distance to empty value in the instrument panel cluster (IPC) that does not correctly represent the actual fuel level of the vehicle. This may be due to excessive idling and/or a learned value in the powertrain control module (PCM) that is incorrect. To correct the condition, perform the PCM - Reset the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) application in the appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool. For claiming, use Causal Part 12A650 and applicable labor times from Section 10 in the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

Take it to Dealer

That's the first that I have seen of others years than the 2020. Thx

That's the first that I have seen of others years than the 2020. Thx
I use the Ford Site to search by Vin or Year and Model What's amazing to me is the carryover on problems to new models going back 4 years or more. One Example is the Transmissions

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
10R60/10R80/10R80 MHT Automatic Transmission - Harsh/Delayed Engagement And/Or Harsh/Delayed Shift - Built On Or Before 23-Dec-2022
22-2428
26 May 2023​
This bulletin supersedes 23-2152.
This bulletin supersedes 22-2139.
This bulletin supersedes 22-2102.
This bulletin supersedes 21-2377.
This bulletin supersedes 21-2434.
Model:
Ford
2021-2023 Bronco
2018-2023 Expedition
2020-2023 Explorer