Mirrors: BLIS with Cross-Traffic Alert vs Spotter Glass | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mirrors: BLIS with Cross-Traffic Alert vs Spotter Glass

mrdot

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 & 16 EXP Int. 3.5T
Just curious what everyone's opinion was on the mirror options, BLIS vs spotter. I was going to add the BLIS system to my 16 (already have rear backup sensors), but i find i like the spotter glass more and more, especially after recently driving my 15 with the BLIS system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "spotter" but am guessing you are referring to the small convex area that some mirrors have.
I use those small 2" stick-on convex mirrors and have used them on all my vehicles, even the ones with BLIS.
I use them more for parking in tight spaces as they allow you to see the rear wheels.

Peter

convex.jpg

I personally prefer the actual blindspot mirror on my vehicle. I'm not a big fan of the orange dot since I can't actually see my blindspot other than relying on the orange dot.

I personally prefer the actual blindspot mirror on my vehicle. I'm not a big fan of the orange dot since I can't actually see my blindspot other than relying on the orange dot.
Get those 2" stick-ons that I have in addition to the BLIS. Problem solved.

Peter

Get those 2" stick-ons that I have in addition to the BLIS. Problem solved.

Peter
My PIU has the convexed area on the corner on both driver and passenger side. You can use it if you have your mirrors adjusted properly.

My PIU has the convexed area on the corner on both driver and passenger side. You can use it if you have your mirrors adjusted properly.
I believe the Base Explorer and some XLT models have those as well. I have actually seen police vehicles with those stick-on mirrors as well.

Peter

I believe the Base Explorer and some XLT models have those as well. I have actually seen police vehicles with those stick-on mirrors as well.

Peter
Yes, my XLT has that as well. I've seen newer PIUs that have the actual blind spot detection system on it. Probably something you can opt for when buying.

have them aswell on my 14 piu love them much more useful than the little orange light

have them aswell on my 14 piu love them much more useful than the little orange light
yeah, i don't rely on the light and i actually look over my shoulder if it's the orange light instead of the actual mirror

Back