grandfunk

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4WD
Hey guys,

I was just looking under my dash for the first time in a while (parking brake light isnt working) and found a couple weird things I never noticed. They are circled in red in the pic. The first is the brown wire going nowhere, the plug looks broken off or something with a spring in it, maybe my parking brake light wire? The second is a black box that says 'sensor' on it zip tied just above my OBD II sensor. Bought it used so I have no clue what these could be. Thanks for your help!

IMG_20150812_194244_zpsmtdj69st.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks to me like some sort of an aftermarket installation - perhaps theft alarm or immobilizer. (When I bought mine from the original owner, many years ago, found something similar that was intended to disconnect the starter wire. Obviously, he was taken for a ride -- the PATS already did much better job than this gizmo).
Hey guys,

I was just looking under my dash for the first time in a while (parking brake light isnt working) and found a couple weird things I never noticed.

So is there supposed to be a wire connected to the plunger at the parking brake?

Yes, but probably nothing to do with your mystery box.
So is there supposed to be a wire connected to the plunger at the parking brake?

Did a little digging...its all part of the anti theft system...
On another note where is my parking brake wire? Is it supposed to connect to the spring here in the picture? Couldn't find any other loose wires, is there a part number for this wire? I couldn't find anything after searching. Thanks again!

IMG_20150815_140853243_zps0tjdikye.jpg

The parking brake wire should have a 'fast-on' connector that slips over the 1/4" tab on the switch (with the little hole in the middle), which you see just above the center of your picture. The wire should be light green with a red stripe. If you can't find it (perhaps it was cut off by the aftermarket alarm installer), you can run a new one. It connects to the Purple/White wire coming off the fluid level indicator on the master brake cylinder sensor. You can find the 1/4" 'fast-on' connector in any hardware store.

On another note where is my parking brake wire? Is it supposed to connect to the spring here in the picture? Couldn't find any other loose wires, is there a part number for this wire? I couldn't find anything after searching. Thanks again!

Back