• Register Today It's free!

miss at idle

ashleyroachclip

Reaction score
City, State
Roseburg Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer EB
I have a 91 Explorer , and a 94 Ranger . Both have the 4.0 engine ..my problem is this ...my Explorer idles poorly, intermitten miss ...you can hear it in the exhaust ..and it looks like it is puffing a little smoke , I can tell it is only one cylinder that is missing ...have replaces the plugs , wires , etc....all codes pass ...now my ranger is doing the same thing ....I've run the gamit of checks ...it also has had new plugs and wires in the last 3 months....I'm wondering if the coil pack may be going bad , dropping one cylinder intermittenly...any suggestions will be appreciated...thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you done a cylinder balance test on either to see if you can isolate the miss to one cylinder?

Do you notice a miss in any other driving conditions (in other words, does it miss when you are accelerating, too?)?

It would be a dirty injector.... or you could have one bad injector. I had the same problem and it ended up being one bad injector... 1994 4.0L OHV XL exploder...anyway I have done a ton of other crap to it since then... check your injectors, do a full cleaning of them and see where that gets you, I bet you just have one bad one on each engine. about $110-$140 each new, and DO NOT EVER BUY AN INJECTOR UNLESS IT'S FROM A GOOD COMPANY AND BRAND NEW, preferably Ford... take care

Ihave not done a cylinder balance test on either one , Ive been spending a great deal of time on my toy ....84 mustang w/347 stroker ....I will try to do just that this week end ....both rigs have a fair mount of miles ...the ranger has 202.000 and the X has 150K ....probably time for new injectors in both .....any other area's you guys might think of ?...This is really a great site ....

Back