• Register Today It's free!

More SOHC Timing Chain Paranoia

gsoexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on my 2000 Explorer XLT SOHC V6. I bought it about 2 weeks ago and have been obsessively listening for any timing change noise (I have 30 days to exchange it). I am hearing a metallic rattle when the outside temperature is 55f or below. The best way I can describe it is it is not rhythmic in the way a clock ticks and it the noise sounds somewhat like how others have described the timing chain as a spray paint can being shaken. This is audible at idle and sometimes present in the 2-3k rpm range. The noise is not present when the outside temps are warmer. The vehicle sat overnight, when I started it today there was no noise (temps are in the high 70's here in PA this week). This explorer has 96000 miles on it and appears to have been very well maintained. I spoke with a mechanic about it who did NOT actually hear the noise, but he stated that if it was timing chain noise, the outside temps would not make any difference, the noise would always be present on cold engine starts. Does that sounds right?

Thanks again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on my 2000 Explorer XLT SOHC V6. I bought it about 2 weeks ago and have been obsessively listening for any timing change noise (I have 30 days to exchange it). I am hearing a metallic rattle when the outside temperature is 55f or below. The best way I can describe it is it is not rhythmic in the way a clock ticks and it the noise sounds somewhat like how others have described the timing chain as a spray paint can being shaken. This is audible at idle and sometimes present in the 2-3k rpm range. The noise is not present when the outside temps are warmer. The vehicle sat overnight, when I started it today there was no noise (temps are in the high 70's here in PA this week). This explorer has 96000 miles on it and appears to have been very well maintained. I spoke with a mechanic about it who did NOT actually hear the noise, but he stated that if it was timing chain noise, the outside temps would not make any difference, the noise would always be present on cold engine starts. Does that sounds right?

Thanks again

That's known as the "timing chain death rattle". Return it if you can.

That's known as the "timing chain death rattle". Return it if you can.
Thanks Koda, so not hearing the noise when outside temps are warmer is irrelevant?

Thanks Koda, so not hearing the noise when outside temps are warmer is irrelevant?

In my experience, in the early stages the noise can come and go, but it only gets worse with time. Our first SOHC (an '01 XLT) always made horrible noises, but we didn't know any better. Our second one (a '97 Sport) had an engine rebuild at some point by it's previous owner. It now has 270k+ on it and is still totally quite. My 3rd one (an '01 ST w/187+K) started making noise at cold startup last fall. Currently, sometimes it will rattle a bit when running and sometimes not. I'll probably replace the timing chain components when it gets consistently bad (or pick up a reman engine) as the rest of the vehicle is now in nice shape and being a Sport Trac still has good valve, plus it didn't cost me much to buy. If it was a Sport or Expl 4-door I wouldn't bother with it.

The Ford SOHC 4.0L has design flaws with the timing chain components and repairs are quite expensive, mainly because the engine must be removed to replace the rear t/c components. If I do the repairs myself I can keep the repair costs well under $1,000. A 2000 XLT SOHC Explorer XLT with 150K isn't worth the cost of the repairs.

In my experience, in the early stages the noise can come and go, but it only gets worse with time. Our first SOHC (an '01 XLT) always made horrible noises, but we didn't know any better. Our second one (a '97 Sport) had an engine rebuild at some point by it's previous owner. It now has 270k+ on it and is still totally quite. My 3rd one (an '01 ST w/187+K) started making noise at cold startup last fall. Currently, sometimes it will rattle a bit when running and sometimes not. I'll probably replace the timing chain components when it gets consistently bad (or pick up a reman engine) as the rest of the vehicle is now in nice shape and being a Sport Trac still has good valve, plus it didn't cost me much to buy. If it was a Sport or Expl 4-door I wouldn't bother with it.

The Ford SOHC 4.0L has design flaws with the timing chain components and repairs are quite expensive, mainly because the engine must be removed to replace the rear t/c components. If I do the repairs myself I can keep the repair costs well under $1,000. A 2000 XLT SOHC Explorer XLT with 150K isn't worth the cost of the repairs.
Thanks so much for the reply. I have to do some serious thinking. This explorer has 95k, zero body rust, and an interior that looks like it just rolled off the line. That said i don't know if i can justify doing the chains because of the "what's next" unknowns. Thanks again for the help.

I would not worry about "what's next". Other than the timing chains, these trucks are reasonably well built and fairly easy to work on. But, as Koda said, I would return the truck if you can. The timing chain repair and replacement is expensive and difficult.

Back