• Register Today It's free!

MTX THUNDERFORMS

Turner55

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport 4x4
i want a little extra bass in my explorer and am thinkin of puttin an mtx thunderform in the little net cargo thingy. i was wanting to know how they sound and if it's worth the money...i know i can get a box for a whole lot cheaper but i dont really want a box...i want it hidden kind of.
thanks

------------------
'93 explorer sport 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The MTX one is pretty good, especially for the money, it's the most economical. There is also the one from Q-Logic, but that one's empty so you have to put your own sub in. Also, there is JL, but that one's pricey. If you get the MTX one, get the newer version loaded with the 4000 driver if you can, not the 5000. Since it's plastic, you might want to sound deaden the box somehow, and it will add a little bit more sound quality, since the box is made of plastic. There are tons of people here who have those, or JL, and a few with the Q-logic. Do a search, and you can decide for yourself.

One more thing, if you're not into spending a WHOLE bunch of money, just want to boost that low end, try a junk yard, and get the factory sub box, and you can modify it to fit an 8. That has been a success too.

[This message has been edited by JTang (edited 03-31-2000).]

I installed an MTX Thunderform last week. Sounds great, worth the $300 from Crutchfield.

JTang, can you tell us how we can "deaden" the sound? I'd like to try it.

they have one with a built in amp and one w/o. i have a pioneer deh-1000 (45X4), will it be enough to push that sub plus the 4 6x8's, or will i need to get the one with the amp? i think it comes w/a 10" in it.
one more thing, what do you mean the factory sub box? is that from like an EB?

[This message has been edited by Turner55 (edited 04-02-2000).]

I have heard that those boxes don't work too well and that the subs that come with them aren't really good, and you can't fit anything but the one that comes with it because they aren't deep at all. Another thing you might want to try is getting a slim box, one that will hold the sub you want,. and put it under the rear seat.

rock,
i'm not lookin for serious bass, i just want some added bass. i think it'll sound good enough for me

------------------
'93 explorer sport 4x4

Because the box is plastic, there is a chance of it rattling. What that means is that if the box is moving around, there is less vibration noise, and less of it delivering the "push". Sort of like trying to punch something while you're being shook around. Now, it's not that drastic, but that's the theory. You can get the sound deadening material in sheets or in a can of spray. All it is really, is a thick rubberzied material to add weight to the thin and vibrating plastic. Car audio people do their whole cars that way in order to kill road noise. You can get it at car audio shops, some electronics stores like Circuit city, Best buy and Frys, and sometimes car parts shops like Pep Boys.

Sometimes the subs aren't that good, but the new t4000 are supposed to be pretty good. If you want a different sub, you just have to find out the box depth, take about 2 or three inches off that, and that's how deep the sub can be at max. Lots of people do that as well. Because the box is small, there is little air space, so you're getting a very tight bass. If you get another sub in it, make sure it's one that only needs a tiny bit of air volume.

If you have a '93, there won't be too much space to fit a slim box, I don't think. With that much space, it seems less than the stealth box. Chevy Full Size trucks have boxes like that, but those have plenty of room.

i went to the mtx website and they have like 6000's out...is that the good one or bad?

------------------
'93 explorer sport 4x4

We have an MTX thunderform that came with the 5000 series sub. It has 400 watts rms going to it. As long as I remember to put both screws into the brackets holding the box in I don't get any rattle from the box. I get more from the body of the truck. I did replace the sub with a Diamond Audio Tech 10" sub. We got more hit out of it but it just wasn't worth the money (for the new sub). We put the DAT sub back in the house where we can tell the difference in sound quality. We have so much road noise in our truck now that we couldn't tell the difference between the subs unless we were sitting still. To fit the DAT 10" sub in I did have to make a 1/4" thick spacer for the sub. It isn't that the new sub was too deep, the frame of the speaker was too wide. Once I made the spacer to lift the frame up some it fit perfectly. I did run into another problem. The DAT 10" has tons of excursion and I could knock the grill of the compartment and sent it across the back of the truck. It was neat looking but it gets anoying after a while. If I find my scanned pictures tonight I'll show you the difference between the DAT 10" and the MTX 5000 speaker.

Overall, I would say the MTX thunderform is worth it.

Mark

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies
Click Dead Link Removed to see our Explorer Specs

The stealth box do not rattle the boxes are mounted to the quarter panel and they jst do not lay in there... I have the Jl stealth box in My 92 Navajo and the it has been in there for about a year and a half. The only problem I have had with rattling was the sub made the tailgate rattle when the sub hit... That was cured with dynamat the sub sounds great it was the be investment I have eer made to my Navajo..

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
1992 Navajo Lx 5-speed
attempting 4x4 convertion
--
http://home.viptx.net/~krisg/explorer1.html
my site has moved!!!!

kris, where do you get the jl's? i've only seen the thunderforms

------------------
'93 explorer sport 4x4

If you're looking for the JL, unless you find a good deal, you're looking at 600 dollars, in general for that stealth box. A lot more than the MTX. The T6000's are just the new Series, but I don't think there's a WHOLE lot of difference. MTX sells the empty box too, and you can always put the sub of your choice in there. JL ALSO sells an empty box, but I think they changed the brand name to "Valence". I'm not sure how much they're charging for it though. If a shop sells the JL Stealths, you could probably order the Valence box as well.

Back