Multiple door problems, tranny stuttering in 2nd/3rd (99 limited explorer) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple door problems, tranny stuttering in 2nd/3rd (99 limited explorer)

manlavi95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1987 Chrysler Conquest
The driver door exterior cylinder linkage comes undone by itself, and it won't unlock and lock normally, sometimes won't lock.

Passenger door interior door handle had to be jimmy'd to open the door, and then I pulled the door panel off, and the linkage from the inner handle to the latch won't open the door, and the lock doesn't unlock unless I hold that latch inside up (the one people usually fix with a spring). Once the door is unlocked, I have to use the linkage in the door that goes to the exterior handle to open the door.

Back doors sometimes don't unlock and when they do, they require extra unlock button pushes.

So what I'm trying to say is, is there a good solution to all of these problems so the doors will all unlock with a single push of a keyfob button and have full functionality? This shouldn't even be too much to ask!

In my family, we're more of a "We love our car and would hate to get rid of it because of something we could fix" kind of people.

Also, the tranny stutters when cruising at 15 or 45. Feels like the truck is dying, but you can tell it's transmission because with a push of the pedal to shift it down, it will stop.

Your transmission problem sounds like what I had and it can be one of two things. Either it will take a torque converter replacement or you can service it.
Before condemning the torque convertor add a friction modifier to the transmission fluid and drive it for a couple of weeks to see if that corrects the symptom.

There are specific additives for this or you can add a small bottle of Traction-Lock rear end additive to it. If the shuddering improves or disappears it would indicate that you need to change the transmission fluid at the very least and depending on the miles on the car the filter also.

If this does not cure the problem then my opinion is that it is a convertor malfunction.

Depending on where your car has spent it's life occasionally just spraying lube onto all the in-door linkage joints can improve you door mechanism functions.

Back