My lower ball joints were replaced, but it still squeaks. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My lower ball joints were replaced, but it still squeaks.

nsmith1088

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hi, I'm new and I have a '01 Explorer XLT 4x4. I just got my lower ball joints replaced at the shop with zerks to grease about 3 weeks ago because of an annoying squeak when turning or going over bumps. Today it started squeaking again and I was wondering whether I needed to just grease the ball joints or replace something else.

Thanks

Your noise COULD be the upper control arm bushings. Before going to buy a new set of these, try squirting them down with wd/40 or some type of spray lubricant, possibly even penetrating oils like PB blaster.
If that is the case, then go ahead and buy a set, but first lets talk about the passenger side one. Some are two piece and some are one piece. If you have a 2 piece one on your truck and you buy just the replacement balljoint for that setup, it of course wont fix the squeak because you are not replacing the bushings on the control arm. BUT, if you have the 2 piece and replace it with the one piece, be forewarned that you will need to purchase the caster/camber bolts to go with it. The driver side is a one piece.

It also could be the lower control arm bushings, try the WD/40 trick to find out.

Back