my stock exhaust is starting to get cringe level loud - can I just replace the muffler or should I also replace other parts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my stock exhaust is starting to get cringe level loud - can I just replace the muffler or should I also replace other parts?

Vikram

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4W
I've always hated guys with rusty old exhausts (or badly modified new exhausts) that sound tacky af and now I'm one of those guys :(

What all parts of the exhaust would play a noticeable level in the sound? I'm not gonna replace the cats until they actually go bad cos they are expensive.

Tail pipe is pretty rusty and ugly so prolly will replace that as well

Should I bother replacing the intermediate pipe (from muffler to cats) or just leave it?

Should I replace the y pipe?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Muffler will be #1 in determining sound level and note. Cats take some of the rough edges out of exhaust note. Resonator reduces the drone at certain RPM, but does little for volume (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the narrow section above the rear axle).
I'd go ahead and replace any parts that will soon rust out.

I have a similar problem with mine where the idiot that did work on my exhaust left something in it, so it rattles like crazy at ~600 RPM. Now I have to cut out the muffler and see if I can shake out what was left inside.

If it is the original exhaust, it’s probably the muffler. My cat pipes are still original and in solid shape, but my OEM muffler rotted out a decade ago. If it’s the tailpipe, it won’t be too much louder. Different tone for sure. Muffler? It’ll be pretty loud. Get under there with a good light and inspect.

If you can find a good used factory muffler or tailpipe, go for it. I switched to a Walker stainless muffler and while it works great and lasts a good 5-6 years (not bad for the price), it only works with their aluminized tailpipe...and that thing sucks. Rots quickly.

One of these days I’ll TIG up a stainless tailpipe

If it is the original exhaust, it’s probably the muffler. My cat pipes are still original and in solid shape, but my OEM muffler rotted out a decade ago. If it’s the tailpipe, it won’t be too much louder. Different tone for sure. Muffler? It’ll be pretty loud. Get under there with a good light and inspect.

If you can find a good used factory muffler or tailpipe, go for it. I switched to a Walker stainless muffler and while it works great and lasts a good 5-6 years (not bad for the price), it only works with their aluminized tailpipe...and that thing sucks. Rots quickly.

One of these days I’ll TIG up a stainless tailpipe

Yeah I see it's all aluminized steel out there, weird that they made the muffler stainless but aluminized everything else! Thinking i'll just get the Walker muffler and have a shop weld it in and install a chrome exhaust tip to cover up my rusty tailpipe.

Don’t weld it in. I don’t know why guys weld exhaust components in—and I have a fancy welder that I absolutely love to use.

If the truck outlasts the exhaust component, you’re going to wish you used stainless hardware (clamps and such) instead. I had to do a muffler earlier this year and it was relatively painless. If I had to cut it out and re-weld everything in? Ughhhhh

Not to mention, I’ve seen ‘professional’ shops weld stainless components in using mild steel rod or wire, and the welds end up rotting out in two seasons.

I would say replace everything that is corroded now. Get it all done instead of replacing something, then replacing something else later.

Do not get a chrome tip. Unless you want to deal with rust from pitting, and then rust from the inside out. Stainless is the way to go.

This is a little off-topic but here's my solution for those aluminized steel pipes. Back when I had a Bullnose PU that was over 10 years old at the time, I got tired of constantly (almost yearly) replacing the aluminized TP because I live well up into the rust belt. I ordered a length of bendable SS pipe from JC Whitney and took it to a local muffler shop to have it bent to the pattern for my truck. He looked doubtful but went ahead with a warning I would need to pay for any machine damage (because he had tried to bend shiny SS before) . It bent as easily as any other pipe he had and was impressed. I wrote down the SS type "T-409" and installed it. Many years later (like another 10 years) after the PU had been retired to sitting back of the barn except when the driveway needed plowing, and when the body was really a goner, that T-409 pipe still was still as solid as when I installed it. T-409 is not shiny/fancy and looks like any old steel or aluminized pipe but doesn't rot out. I suspect all the stock exhaust pipes on all new cars are T-409.

Whitney dropped it from their store after I bought it but Summit has a page discussing the 2 SS types used for exhaust; What is the difference between 304 and 409 stainless steel? so they may be a source if you can't find it elseware. Since T-409 is bendable you don't need to weld up a shiny SS pipe that is out of sight anyway and it will survive just as well as a fancy one.

This is a little off-topic but here's my solution for those aluminized steel pipes. Back when I had a Bullnose PU that was over 10 years old at the time, I got tired of constantly (almost yearly) replacing the aluminized TP because I live well up into the rust belt. I ordered a length of bendable SS pipe from JC Whitney and took it to a local muffler shop to have it bent to the pattern for my truck. He looked doubtful but went ahead with a warning I would need to pay for any machine damage (because he had tried to bend shiny SS before) . It bent as easily as any other pipe he had and was impressed. I wrote down the SS type "T-409" and installed it. Many years later (like another 10 years) after the PU had been retired to sitting back of the barn except when the driveway needed plowing, and when the body was really a goner, that T-409 pipe still was still as solid as when I installed it. T-409 is not shiny/fancy and looks like any old steel or aluminized pipe but doesn't rot out. I suspect all the stock exhaust pipes on all new cars are T-409.

Whitney dropped it from their store after I bought it but Summit has a page discussing the 2 SS types used for exhaust; What is the difference between 304 and 409 stainless steel? so they may be a source if you can't find it elseware. Since T-409 is bendable you don't need to weld up a shiny SS pipe that is out of sight anyway and it will survive just as well as a fancy one.
The counter guy at aps stated the sss band clamp do not work. Most customers return them. Any true to that?

I've always hated guys with rusty old exhausts (or badly modified new exhausts) that sound tacky af and now I'm one of those guys :(

What all parts of the exhaust would play a noticeable level in the sound? I'm not gonna replace the cats until they actually go bad cos they are expensive.

Tail pipe is pretty rusty and ugly so prolly will replace that as well

Should I bother replacing the intermediate pipe (from muffler to cats) or just leave it?

Should I replace the y pipe?
I had the gasket between the Y-pipe and the cat fail. You might need to replace the intermediate pipe if you are replacing the muffler. You have to separate them. Walker gives you a lifetime warranty on there mufflers not on the pipes. The warranty is void if you damage the muffler trying to removing the pipe. You need to replace everything that is rusted out. If you don't have the money that's a different story. I separate the pipes it take time. Everything goes in smooth with all new parts. That's why a muffler shop does it, cost of there time labor versus part cost. I once try too have my local muffler shop bend up a down pipe that I brough over to them (off the car) and they toll me to put it back on the car and bring the car in.

Yes, removing rhe OEM muffler is a *****.

IIRC I used an air hammer with a sheet metal cutting tip to cut and peel the muffler tube back, then beat it off with a sledge 😂

The counter guy at aps stated the sss band clamp do not work. Most customers return them. Any true to that?
Like these? I used Torca TorcTite EasySeal ones for my Gibson catback install. Worked fine.

The only issue I had with them is corrosion between aluminized pipe and stainless band clamps. I currently have three working together to keep the pipe going over the rear axle from splitting apart. Whole catback is going to be replaced with Borla unit shortly…

1633510679527.jpeg

1633510791516.jpeg

Right on guys thanks

So basically I'll get the walker tail pipe, the 2 hangars and the muffler - will that fit on to the factory int pipe or will I need to get the walker one?

If I have to get the walker int pipe and the walker gasket will that connect to the factory catalytic converter or will I need to get the walker catalytic converter?

So then if I got the walker cats and the gaskets and bolts will that fit on to the factory Y pipe or would I have to get the walker y pipe?

So I guess my main question is if I want to put Walker stuff in do I need to replace the whole exhaust system or at what point will it hook up with factory parts?

Right on guys thanks

So basically I'll get the walker tail pipe, the 2 hangars and the muffler - will that fit on to the factory int pipe or will I need to get the walker one?

If I have to get the walker int pipe and the walker gasket will that connect to the factory catalytic converter or will I need to get the walker catalytic converter?

So then if I got the walker cats and the gaskets and bolts will that fit on to the factory Y pipe or would I have to get the walker y pipe?

So I guess my main question is if I want to put Walker stuff in do I need to replace the whole exhaust system or at what point will it hook up with factory parts?
You need too get the spring bolts and gasket for the connection at cat and INT pipe.

On my SOHC, I connected the Walker SS muffler to the OEM cats, bolted right up. I wouldn’t change out the OEM cats. They will last forever if treated well.

I also painted my latest Walker tailpipe inside (as best as I could) and outside with BBQ paint to prevent rot. I left the very tip unpainted for appearance.

On my SOHC, I connected the Walker SS muffler to the OEM cats, bolted right up. I wouldn’t change out the OEM cats. They will last forever if treated well.

I also painted my latest Walker tailpipe inside (as best as I could) and outside with BBQ paint to prevent rot. I left the very tip unpainted for appearance.
I replaced my OEM cat. They rust out.

Back