Navigation Standard on MyFord / SYNC? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Navigation Standard on MyFord / SYNC?

Here we go again...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From my guess, if the GPS antenna was not installed when the car was built, how the nav system work with just the SD card.

My nav like others who have posted fails intermittently. In other words, it does not work (not a map issue or a GPS tracking issue), it just freezes or won't set a destination or it displays a nav card fault. The annoying thing is that the nav does work about 85% of the time so it is not something I can take in and be sure that the problem will be repeated. Invariably, like the time I needed to take my son to a new doctor, the nav fails making me very frustrated, lost and late. My nav fails enough that I have taken to printing Google maps whenever I go somewhere unfamiliar (why did I pay for nav again)? Because of my generally poor sense of direction, I have gotten nav systems in my cars as soon as they were available. I have never had a nav system as bad as this (with respect to failures, some systems are more cumbersome or have worse UIs or even older maps, but once you figured out how they worked, they all worked).

I am hoping the big update with new maps fixes this because this level of failure is unacceptable in any production product.

Peanadad said:
From my guess, if the GPS antenna was not installed when the car was built, how the nav system work with just the SD card.

All the equipment is there.

Many of us are hoping when they get the new update out and working well they will start making nav available to those of use who didn't get it factory.

From what some have posted and research done looks like you will need the card and something enabled in the programming.

All the equipment is there.

Many of us are hoping when they get the new update out and working well they will start making nav available to those of use who didn't get it factory.

From what some have posted and research done looks like you will need the card and something enabled in the programming.

See post 13 and 17 this thread.
Can't do it. Has to be factory ordered per Becky.

But she did hint that the ability to activate it on non-factory navigation systems might be made available in the future, but no word on when or even if.

So the best answer is, no you can't turn on the full navigation if it didn't come from the factory, but there is the slight possibility in the future that might change (but I wouldn't hold my breath).

So, if you think you might want the full factory nav, not just the sync turn-by-turn, then go ahead and get it. I wouldn't count on the possibility that it can be turned on later, just to be disappointed if it never comes to fruition.

Happy driving!

GWA1 said:
See post 13 and 17 this thread.
Can't do it. Has to be factory ordered per Becky.

At this point you can't do it. But all the equipment is there so it is very possible they might make it available in the future.

You would need the MFT reprogrammed and then the nav card, but it is possible without having to add extra equipment.

Myself and a few others are under the impression that this was the original plan, but MFT has been so crappy that the priority is to get that right.

Again, who knows they may not do it, but since all the equipment is already in the vehicle I can't see why they wouldn't once they get MFT right.

Pay your $795 get the dealer to reprogram the OS and give you the disc. Seems like a smart thing to do and a big money maker.

Who knows, they won't say, but I hope they do. I would spend the money on it if they get MFT right and it works.

Back