Need Brake Pad and Rotor Recommendation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Brake Pad and Rotor Recommendation

96ExpXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I have a 96 XLT V6 with over 300K miles. I need to replace the pads and rotors, and this is my first time doing the job myself. I would like some recommendations on quality pads and rotors that are carried by local parts stores like Advanced Auto, Autozone, O'Reilly, or Napa. I don't need anything high performance just a good quality part. I do mostly highway driving.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm using Autozone Cmax ceramics on my trucks. i'm very happy with them. no dust, no noise (i always use brake-quite), smooth quick stops, free replacements as long as i own the vehicles. Wagner TQ's are good too.

Another thumbs up for Wagner ThermoQuiet Ceramics. Based on popularity and positive reviews they are hard to fault.

For rotors, OEM or a well known name brand are more than adequate for daily driving. (Some Ebay brands can be sketchy)

Another thumbs up for Wagner ThermoQuiet Ceramics. Based on popularity and positive reviews they are hard to fault.

For rotors, OEM or a well known name brand are more than adequate for daily driving. (Some Ebay brands can be sketchy)

yeah, cheap foreign rotors don't meet OE specs and who knows what crap is in the iron they're made out of. I'd pay the extra money and get Wagner or another U.S. made brand.

Trumps up for Wagner Rotor and pads. I use those for all cars in my family including Explorer. They run rebates sometimes which could lower your final cost significantly.

I thought there was pretty much zero USA made rotors.

I run Carquest pads and rotors, which are rebadged Raybestos.

Yup, all rotors nowadays are forged in china. You can find rotors that are machined in America, but the rotor itself still comes over on a boat.

Personally, I like Raybestos for brakes. I run the AT rotors and pro grade semi-metallics for the Trac, and really like them. Great stopping power even with 33s, very quiet, so far seem to be very low dust, and they had as close to zero runout as I could measure on both rotor faces and both hub faces.

replace bearings as well?

Found out I have the rotor/hub combination on this vehicle, which I did not expect from the online videos. Anyway, would it be wise to replace the bearings at the same time as I replace the rotors?

Thanks.

if you're putting on new rotors, you might as well replace the wheel bearings and seals. they don't cost very much.

Found out I have the rotor/hub combination on this vehicle, which I did not expect from the online videos. Anyway, would it be wise to replace the bearings at the same time as I replace the rotors?
You have 2WD (RWD)? In that case I think you might be able to replace also the bearings, they are cheap (some $5 on Rockauto).

On my AWD, the rotors are separated from hubs, so I replaced just the rotors last week (Raybestors Professional).

Could not find a "tools" forum, so I thought I would post in here since it is related to this work.

Can anyone recommend a good torque wrench?

Thanks.

I am using torgue wrench braded as 'Tool Shop' sold by Menards. Harbor fright has similar one for $10 - $15. I heard that it needs to be adjusted every year but I don't know how to do it.

Back