Need CID / Cam Position Sensor for 94 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need CID / Cam Position Sensor for 94

rww

Reaction score
City, State
Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XL - Modified
This engine has a CID / Cam position sensor. It is chirping which means the entire assembly needs replaced. . . . .the small sensor part on top that normally fails is in good shape . . oh the irony of it all. . . . ;) Since this 94 engine has a CID on it, it means that the enigine is either a CA Emissions engine (vehicle was bought brand new in Washington State - we are the original owners) or Ford stuffed an early 95 engine into the 94 model (Ford used to be notorious for that trick). . . be what it may does anyone know if the 95 CID / Cam Position Sensor will work in the 94? This part is not available anywhere. . . . . Part number is 92TF-12k073-AA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you're going to have to find one at the wreckers, unless you pay a huge sum for it at the dealers.

the dealers no longer stock the part. Every one that I have pulled at a wrecker has been as bad if not worse than mine. this is why I am looking for a possible cross-over / interchange. The sensor is a simple hall effect unit - not a complicated signal going to the EEC-IV, however it needs to fit in the hole and mesh with the gears.

Found a new one - Car Quest has new made by the OEM for this part. They call it a crank angle sensor and it is under 'engine - emissions' for the 94 4.0l V6

are you sure? our trucks have a crankshaft sensor, and a camshaft sensor. how much did you pay for it?

Napa lists the camshaft sensor for about 700 bucks, you might get a deal with a company account.

The crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor are in the same cylinder identification circuit.

Yes I am sure. The crankshaft position sensor has already been replaced. The cam position sensor / CID / Crank Angle Sensor is made by the original manufacturer and sold through CarQuest. I paid slightly under $300 with shipping and company discounts. The Ford Dealer here in town cross links directly into the Car Quest System and this is the correct part. NAPA is not a recommended supplier of parts for these vintage Fords.

Was it the correct part? I also need to replace my CMP sensor and wonder if it solved you problem?

The Carquest Part Number is:

30-S2605 and it is listed as a "Distributor" on the box. Their computer system carries it as a crank angle sensor or a distributor. It is listed under the engine equipment, emissions breakout list for a 94 ford explorer, 4.0l V6.

I paid $275 with company discount, the item also has a $32 core charge. My sensor had 160,000 hard miles on it and the sensor assembly shaft was loose in the assmebly housing bushings - the sensor was also pretty worn out.

This part number will give you the entire housing assembly and the sensor on the top. This item will do serious damage to the engine if the bushings fail and the assembly shaft starts to 'wander around'.

On the new unit prelube the shaft and gear and it will go in with a minor amount of jiggling. Make sure you have a good volt meter to set the final position. If you need these instructions let me know.

Thanks a bunch. I will try to get my hand on one and see if the CEL will stay out :) THX again for all help!

just where is the cam pos sensor located at.

back of the engine (firewall side) in the middle.

The Carquest Part Number is:

30-S2605 and it is listed as a "Distributor" on the box. Their computer system carries it as a crank angle sensor or a distributor. It is listed under the engine equipment, emissions breakout list for a 94 ford explorer, 4.0l V6.

I paid $275 with company discount, the item also has a $32 core charge. My sensor had 160,000 hard miles on it and the sensor assembly shaft was loose in the assmebly housing bushings - the sensor was also pretty worn out.

This part number will give you the entire housing assembly and the sensor on the top. This item will do serious damage to the engine if the bushings fail and the assembly shaft starts to 'wander around'.

On the new unit prelube the shaft and gear and it will go in with a minor amount of jiggling. Make sure you have a good volt meter to set the final position. If you need these instructions let me know.

If you purchased that from CarQuest I'm 100% sure that's a re-manufactured one. It wasn't new since Cardone re-manufactures them even if it was more than a yr ago. I mean no disrespect but you paid way too much even with your discount since they were selling for under $200 for yrs.

For future reference :

A re-manufactured one for 94-95 yrs can be had for roughly $160 or so after the core charge is reimbursed.

Please see my post on this if anyone needs to replace it : http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2787845&postcount=158

A mechanic tried to charge me 700 plus labor ! I brought the ex in a year ago to have the codes read because of vacuum line problem....To make a long story short the vacuum lines were the culprit and I have set a code since and I have had no problems with the sensor even though the shop said it was toast !

Back