• Register Today It's free!

need help ASAP

redneck842013

Reaction score
City, State
alliance, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer
I have a 1997 ford explorer it keeps burning a white with black stripe wire and a tan w/white stripe wire off the headlight switch I have replaced the switch, all fuses and relays that pertain to those wires, the multi-function switch all lights around the truck even those wires themselves but they continue to burn off and blow out the #3 fuse in the interior fuse panel anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this problem I am excellent with vehicle wiring but this has me stumped PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

disconnect the GEM

If Fuse 3 only blows when the Headlamp switch is in Park or Head I suggest that you disconnect the C280 connector (with WHT/BLK wire) to the GEM. The GEM can develop an internal short that blows Fuse 3.
1997HeadlampSwitch.jpg

would the GEM cause the two wires to burn and blow out the fuse?

possibly

The fuse size is based on the anticipated load plus a safety factor. The wire size is also based on the anticipated current flow. When the current exceeds the anticipated flow the conductors get hot. I'm surprised the fuse doesn't blow before the wire insulation burns. Did you install a larger capacity fuse? Since the fuse doesn't blow immediately (lasts long enough for the wire insulation to discolor) then there is not a direct short. The GEM is the only active (solid state) device in the circuit.

Yes I did install a larger amp fuse it calls for a 15amp fuse I installed a 30amp fuse I go any lower than a 30 and it blows instantly as soon as Iturn the light switchy on

No everything is factory some say it could be the fog lights

Yes it is the number 3 fuse that I replaced with a 30amp fuse

Replacing a 15 amp fuse with a 30 amp fuse first overheats wires and burns switches. Then it sets your car on fire. If the 15 amp fuse burn out instantly you have a short somewhere. Get a complete wiring diagram and find that short.

Back