Need help, dies out when I give it throttle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help, dies out when I give it throttle

huntertim7531

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 ford explorer xlt
It's starts up fine and idles fine then after about a min it starts idling rough like it's not getting fuel try and give it gas but that doesn't help just makes it die out faster.
But when I do the reset switch for the fuel like tapping it and making it go off and then resetting it it runs fine for a short period,I've tried driving in the Rd and it's dies out and I have to prime it by turning the key off and on the it goes fine for a short period agai.i have a new fuel filter to put on.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys and gals

Update!!!!!it's now leaking gas from top of tank beside rear driver's side tire.is that the fuel pump???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd check the fuel pressure, clean the MAF sensor if not done recently, and wonder about vac leak(s). Are there any OBD trouble codes?

It'd be good to list your engine in your sig or profile section where it shows up on every post.

I'd check the fuel pressure, clean the MAF sensor if not done recently, and wonder about vac leak(s). Are there any OBD trouble codes?

It'd be good to list your engine in your sig or profile section where it shows up on every post.
It's a 4.0 6 cylinder.yes the check engine light comes on.its a 94 explorer XLT 4x4 automatic

Pull the codes, look them up and/or list them here... though could just be misfire codes but still, would help to know if multiple, or only one cylinder or bank.

Its not a misfire,I fixed that couple months ago,idk how to pull the codes on a first gen
Pull the codes, look them up and/or list them here... though could just be misfire codes but still, would help to know if multiple, or only one cylinder or bank.

First Gen forum should have details, think it's something about paperclip in the socket and read dash blink codes... "maybe".

I'd video it on my cell phone for future playback.

Start with a code scanner before you throw money at it. For $29 it's money well spent.

While you're poking around, take off your air intake tube & check it for breaks\cracks\holes.

What you mean?so everyone can see how it's acting??
I suspect what was meant was, either download the video to store on your phone, or add the shortcut to it on the phone browser or send a text message to it with the link, or whatever. I just have a duplicate folder on my phone, of what's on my PC with all related vehicle info except it lags a few months behind, I don't sync it often. Heh, there's probably an app for that, or could also put it on a cloud but then the phone needs a signal to access it.

Update!!!!!it's now leaking gas from top of tank beside rear driver's side tire.is that the fuel pump???

The fuel pump is in the tank. Your leak is either from a rusted out fuel line or the connector to the sending unit.. "maybe" the pipe on the sending unit itself is rusted but seems less likely than the former possibility. This is "probably" causing excessive drop in fuel pressure, is why it can't stay running once the ECM tries to lean out the fuel mix. Even if it isn't the cause, you have to fix the leak as it is dangerous otherwise, so might as well do that first and see if it's solved, or as suggested previously, measure the fuel pressure to see if it's too low at the fuel rail valve.

When you have substantial info to add to a topic, you should add it in a new post because I *almost* didn't see this info you edited onto a past post.

It's starts up fine and idles fine then after about a min it starts idling rough like it's not getting fuel try and give it gas but that doesn't help just makes it die out faster.
But when I do the reset switch for the fuel like tapping it and making it go off and then resetting it it runs fine for a short period,I've tried driving in the Rd and it's dies out and I have to prime it by turning the key off and on the it goes fine for a short period agai.i have a new fuel filter to put on.
Thanks guys and gals

Top of the tank, center rear of the tank is where they put it on the 97. You could have a broken fuel line.

Thanks guys and gals

I had an oil change, the company "firestone" put the wrong oil in my car. the first day it ran okay, the day after it was running rough like it was not getting gas, took it back and they said they put the wrong oil in it. they changed the oil/filter it's running fine.

Thanks guys and gals

I have a friend who had a leak like that and the car ran some. The problem was a squirrel had gotten up in there and chewed the fuel line.

Thanks guys and gals

If it is gas that is leaking, it's most likely a leaky fuel pump or a leaking fuel line. That needs to be fixed right away. If you are able to see the fuel pump, see if the leak to coming from there. Could be that the gas is seeping out from the gasket where the fuel pump is mounted. Given your description, it sounds like a fuel pump issue, but a clogged line is also possible, although that would not explain the leaking gas. How many miles on the car? Good luck.

Thanks guys and gals

Either your fuel pump is going out or the sensor in it is bad. Also the leak could be just the coupling going bad from the tank to your filler cap. Mine use to leak at that spot also and its very cheap to fix since it is just a coupling that you can replace easily.

The fuel pump is entirely internal, no fault of the fuel pump will cause an external leak. The pump is connected to a sending unit, also in the tank, and a leak at that connection would also, only dump fuel back into the tank.

Example Sending Unit w/pump already attached, and tank shape on 2nd link:

The top plate of the sending unit, covers the hole in the fuel tank while the body of the sending unit drops down into the tank, and there is a gasket to seal the top plate to the tank. If that gasket fails, it will not produce an external leak, unless the tank is overfilled or driving is causing fuel to slosh around a lot.

Similarly, the fuel filler tube to the tank will not cause a leak unless it is overfilled or driving is causing fuel to slosh around a lot. If it is leaking while just sitting parked, it has to be either the connection between the sending unit's built-in pipe nipple and the fuel line, or the fuel line itself. There is no sensor involved, unless you count the fuel level float for the dash gas gauge (also visible on the pics in the above link) and it failing won't cause a leak either.

There is also another possibility unrelated to all the above, that there is a rust-through hole in the tank that allows gas to only slosh out while driving, or hole in the filler tube, and this is causing a vac leak, causing it to run too lean. If that is the problem, the fuel pressure measurement at the fuel rail won't be too low like it would if the fuel delivery path itself is where the leak is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a friend who had a leak like that and the car ran some. The problem was a squirrel had gotten up in there and chewed the fuel line.
I had the exact same squirrel problem. Chewed holes in the fuel line and fuel filler hose. Top of fuel tank was full of acorns.

Back