Need Help: How do I get the SERVO BORE retaining snap rings out on the 5R55 trans? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help: How do I get the SERVO BORE retaining snap rings out on the 5R55 trans?

bcolins

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Park (Austin) Tejas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS 4.0 4x4
I'm attempting the "Servo Bore fix" (from fordservoborefixsolution.com ) on my 2002 XLS 4.0 4X4 with the 5R55 transmission.. I have the front and center cross-members and the exhaust system out for better access (tried it with those in....wasn't gonna happen).

I can compress both snap rings, which creates a visible gap around the outside of a portion of the snap ring (opposite the "ears" of the snap ring), but the gap is too small to get any kind of a tool into to attempt lifting the snap ring.

I have repeatedly compressed or squeezed the snap ring to its limit (the ears touching each other) and then tried prying the servo piston cap out as well.

I'm not having any luck with either method. Any suggestions on how to get the servo bore cap snap rings and caps out?

This is my 3rd weekend to have my truck up on jack stands and try to get the servo piston caps off..............:(

Brian in Austin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you need a small flat head to pop them off. are you using angled needle nose pliers as snap ring pliers? they work much better.

Getting them back on it a lot harder, so if you're having a hard time with this i would suggest having a second pair of hands to help you get them back on.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=533357&is=REG&Q=&A=details

something that sized helped me.

So, when you compress the snap ring untill it can be compressed no more,......where do you insert the screwdriver. Lets say that the ends of the snap ring are at "9 O Clock", would you insert pocket screwdriver at 3 O Clock, or would you attempt to lift one of the ends where the needle nose pliers are?? (I've tried both)

Try picking the snap ring out the side opposite where you squeeze the ends together, while the cap is pushed in as far as you can push it. You might want to file or grind the tip of a small screwdriver as sharp as possible to use as the pick. When you get the tip of the screwdriver under the snap ring, you might try releasing the pressure on the cap to try to get the cap to push the ring out (or might try pushing in and out while you have the snap ring compressed and the pick under the ring).

It can be a pain, but it will come out.

good luck!

Got the snap rings out, the caps off and one (the larger of the two) servo piston out. The smaller piston does not want to come out.

Try this -insert the largest and longest drill bit or allen key you can get in the servo shaft and try wiggling it down towards the ground simultaneously while you pull the servo outwards of the transmission.

It sounds weird, but you are trying to guide the opposite end of the servo shaft (that is stuck inside the bore) upwards as you try to pull it out, to get past a groove (from wear?) that the shaft is getting hung up on.

good luck!

Try this -insert the largest and longest drill bit or allen key you can get in the servo shaft and try wiggling it down towards the ground simultaneously while you pull the servo outwards of the transmission.

It sounds weird, but you are trying to guide the opposite end of the servo shaft (that is stuck inside the bore) upwards as you try to pull it out, to get past a groove (from wear?) that the shaft is getting hung up on.

good luck!

I did get it out. I ended up using my 11/64 drill bit like a screw; screwing it into the servo, then clamping vise grips on to it. While I then pulled on the vice grips,...I lightly pryed against the side of the servo,.....and with a "pop" it came out.

Nice! So, any improvement from the new servos?

Nice! So, any improvement from the new servos?

Don't know yet. I had to source a new exhaust manifold to down pipe bolt and nut,............and have been waiting for responses to my other thread asking whether or not I should change my nearly black transmission fluid. I'm afraid if I do, it will cause immediate total failure. About half of the respondees said theyve done it with good result, and the other half, did it with a bad result ( transmission failure).

I'll be putting together a brief posting on how it went either way.

Brian

I'm really curious to hear how these work out for you...I had them done on my 4.6L EB 3 months ago and they made more of a difference then I could ever of hoped for...all of the problems I was having are no more since these were done...Barry

Back