Need Help removing 4.6L A/C compressor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help removing 4.6L A/C compressor

KamiKaziDK

Reaction score
City, State
Phx, Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Eddie Bauer 4.6
I popped off the belt, got the hoses disconnected by going through the wheel well and took the studs out with a 5mm wrench so the compressor isn't being held by anything at this point....but, now how do I get it out??? Am I going to have to remove the fan shroud and fan and everything up front? Was hoping to avoid that, but if that's the only way.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From the service manual:

Item 8: A/C Compressor Removal Note

Position forward the right front wheelhouse opening panel-to-frame insert.

Slide the A/C compressor through the RH front wheelhouse opening to remove.

Thanks for the post, it doesn't work that good though. I ended up dropping the lower half of the fan shroud out and pulling out out across the front towards the drivers side and down, doing it that way kept it from snagging any lines or wires of any sort.

Hey Guys,
Have an '06 and I need to replace the crankshaft position sensor and the A/C compressor is in the way. If you disconnect the refrigeration tubes, does all the refrigerant come out or are there "check" valves on the ends of the hoses to prevent needing to recharge the system?
Thanks,
Mark

I would say DONT disconnect any of the hoses on the A/C or else your going to have to take it in and have it sucked down and then refilled. Never taken the compressor off of my EX. but usually you can move it around a little bit to get the clearance you need to work on pieces in the area.

Don't disconnect the AC lines. You have to refill your AC if that's the case.
Just loosen the AC studs so that the lines will be out of the way. I just replaced my AC Compressor a month ago and it can be taken out via the wheel well and it's not that easy.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

Thank You Blue Oval,
I loosened the 3 studs and two the three, the nuts came off leaving the two studs(In my mind, that was good so the compressor wouldn't just fall off). I loosened two completely and the the 3rd was the top stud that I loosened the nut just to the end of the threads.
My serpentine belt doesn't look so good at 125k....

Back