need help with door lock and handle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need help with door lock and handle

sgmtino

Reaction score
City, State
benton , ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 awd xlt
my drivers door will not lock at all tried power locks,key and manually pushing the lock down the lock will not budge can anyone give me advice before I tear into the door panel also the exterior handle takes very little pressure to open the door unlike the other exterior handles,going on a trip next wed. and would like to fix it before i go also can anyone explain to me how to go about replacing the interior door handle in the back drivers side it will not open from the inside the handle is broken inside picked up the handle at ford dealer today do i have to remove the door panel ? thanks for any info

you will have to remove the door panel to find out anything.
the panel has 2 screws at the handle and it will pull off.
a trim puller tool would help, but i just use my hands.
there are plastic fittings that hold it in on all sides.
the handles are very easy to replace. before i took a look myself, midas replaced mine for nearly $200 and it took over an hour! i could do it now in less than 10 minutes. needless to say, i wont go to any midas again.
i had to replace the whole latch assembly after a small internal spring broke, and getting all those rods installed was a major PIA.
other than that, its pretty simple to figure out.

looked at my door lock and the small spring is broken looks like a pain to remove the latch mechanism gonna tackle it at a later date thanks

Back