Need help with transfer case question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with transfer case question

Ageman

Reaction score
City, State
Buena Park, Orange County CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 5 speed 4x4 Explorer
I have a 92 Explorer with a manual transmission. It has a push button electric transfer case. I would like to convert to a Manual Transfer Case. I know there are other options, but not for me. I went to the junk yard today and found two Bronco II''s one was a '86 automatic and the other was a '88 5speed both with manual transfer cases. Would they bolt right in on my Explorer or would I need to do some mods. Any help would be great. I know there are ads posted but, searching and reading is taking its toll on me. Thanks

I believe the BW 13-50 is a common transfer case to use for this swap (the manual 13-50 is more common than the manual 13-54). I'm not real familiar with this swap. I'm nearly certain that the 13-50 bolts onto your existing transmission without modification. It seems that the 13-50 front output is a little different, but I think that is fixed by modifying the front driveshaft. The main concern I would have is the shift linkage. I'm not certain if Ford had the linkage mounts machined into every transmission, or if they only machined those into transmissions intended for manual shift t-cases. Hopefully that helps and that somebody else can chime in and fill in the gaps.

Back