Need instructions on changing inner rods | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need instructions on changing inner rods

98ebx

Reaction score
City, State
SF Bay Area , California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 4x4
Anyone done this yourself. I need to change the inner tie rods and outer. The outers look really easy but the inner tie rods look like a pita to change. Do i need to pull off the steering rack? what tools and parts will I need. any other suggestions or tips that help are appreciated.
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

98, They are not too bad to change, and you don't have to remove the rack. Just turn the wheel so that the tie rod end is as far to the outside of the rack as possible. Remove the boot. There is a large nut you have to loosen; IIRC I used a large crescent wrench on it.

There will be either small hex screws or (most likely) small pins that keep the nut from turning. You'll have to cut these off or remove them, and then the tie rod and inner end will unscrew as a unit.

Don't forget to compare the (new and old) tie rod lengths, so the toe-in adjustment will be within or near specs.

There is a special tool that makes thing MUCH easier.
I don't know if it would be worth it to you to buy one though. I think I paid $40.00 for mine from Matco.
It is called a Tie Rod End Tool ( yeah, go figure )
Any way it is a long pipe with a cressent on the end.
Works like a charm.
Maybe there is a place that will let you borrow/ rent/ use what have you. Won't hurt to ask a body shop or susspension and alignment shop or two.

Thanks guys. Yeah I heard about that tool also but havent seen one. have any pictures of it. kinda of on a budget so dont know if i could splurge for that tool. I'll check if I could rent it. Yeah another question is the rubber boot? will I need to cut the old one off or slide it back after I remove the little clip?Thanks never took them off so just wanna cover ever angle. Where did you guys buy your parts from i was thinking autozone had the tie rods but think it was a order only part.

98ebx, cut the metal clip that holds on the boot, and re-use the boot. You can use a nylon lock-tie to reinstall it on the rack.

I bought mine at a local parts store, either AutoZone or NAPA; can't remember which. It's a common part and should be in stock. The price was in the $12-$20 range.

I can see where Monmix's special tool would come in handy, especially if you were changing them on a daily basis. Like I said, I used a large crescent wrench to loosen mine. The nut is about 1 5/16" (or the equilivant metric size?). The hardest part of the job will be removing the small pins located in the nut. They are there to prevent the tie rod from backing off from the rack. I used a pair of small vise grips to grab the ends and lever them out. It's not a hard job; just takes a little patience......

Thanks for your help I just called autozone and they carry the tool for the removal of the the inner rod and they can loan it out to me. The inner rods are 26 bucks each. Now i just have to wait for my replacement shocks from edelbrock so i could tackle this in one day.

Back