Need water pump/engine repair in Houston Tx | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need water pump/engine repair in Houston Tx

Ray500

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited AWD
HI Guys,
Does anyone know a good Ford mechanic (non dealer) in Houston or sorrounding areas? The water pump has leaked coolant into the engine of my 2016 Explore Limited 3.5. I don't want to go to the dealer and pay their high labor charges for this out of pocket repair.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where in Houston? I live near a placed called Mobile Tuneup on Kieth Harrow in 77084 and is about the only shop I use in case I get over my head with a repair....which has happened...Armada rear shocks, seized bolt...

Very well might be cheaper to source a used engine, and if higher mileage replace the water pump/timing set before installation.

Where in Houston? I live near a placed called Mobile Tuneup on Kieth Harrow in 77084 and is about the only shop I use in case I get over my head with a repair....which has happened...Armada rear shocks, seized bolt...
I am in Katy area. I just want someone that has done a water pump/timing chain on these motors as I understand it to be a complex job.

Your first step should be to determine if the engine is damaged beyond repair. If the car was driven more than just a few miles with coolant in the crankcase the engine is most likely ruined.

I am in Katy area. I just want someone that has done a water pump/timing chain on these motors as I understand it to be a complex job.
The only thing I have to add is, DO NOT DRIVE IT anywhere or start the engine. Have it towed.

Peter

Your first step should be to determine if the engine is damaged beyond repair. If the car was driven more than just a few miles with coolant in the crankcase the engine is most likely ruined.
So this is false and has been proven so many times. While coolant in the crankcase will eventually destroy the engine, there have been many cases where a engine gets a new water pump and the oil changed multiple times after the repair and the engine provides years of additional service. I would say that after 50+ miles (with a slower leak) is when you need to consider that a repair isn't worth it. It is well documented that these engines are durable and will continue working after making a milkshake....this is assuming it still ran well at the time it was discovered their was coolant in the oil. Normally they overheat long before that and people let them cool off, refill the tank and keep trying to drive it again and again...

Any appreciable amount of coolant in the oil is gong to immediately start damaging the bearings.

It’s definitely not a myth.

Any appreciable amount of coolant in the oil is gong to immediately start damaging the bearings.

Damaging doesn't mean it can't last another 80k+ miles.... sure it shortens a bearings life, but a bearing can last 350k+ on this engine. It's worth the chance when comparable new SUVs now cost over 50k easy. A water pump and a few oil changes are 2-3K....tops. You'd be a fool not to try....people have been paying thousands over sticker for the last few years anyway...

Very different opinions. I think you’d be a fool to throw 3k into a possibly junk motor. If you’re already in for 3k you might as well do the rebuild.

You can’t compare a ragged out 100k+ vehicle with a new one.

Very different opinions. I think you’d be a fool to throw 3k into a possibly junk motor. If you’re already in for 3k you might as well do the rebuild.

You can’t compare a ragged out 100k+ vehicle with a new one.
When people are paying 5K over sticker for a new 3 row suv, 3K doesn't seem like a bad idea when you may get a few years out of your current unit. Engines are going close to 8- 10K and then you still got a vehicle with 100K+ on the other wearable parts.

Again, you can’t compare a NEW vehicle to one with 100k. You’d compare it to, you know, another vehicle with 100k on it.

Again, you can’t compare a NEW vehicle to one with 100k. You’d compare it to, you know, another vehicle with 100k on it.
Have you checked the price of used 3 row suvs lately? It totally worthy it…

Coolant in the oil means there will be more damage than what you can see. This engine may not be worth fixing. How many miles on the car and what condition is it in?

I replaced my water pump at 124k and car now has 141k its been good me. It cost me $600 in parts (new timing gear, sprockets, etc) I did the job myself in the driveway. It was not fun but if you have any auto mechanical knowledge its very do able. Hardest part for me was getting the timing cover back on without smearing RTV onto everything.

Theres a good tech write up on this job that another forum member shared its in the sticky threads

Since my original post my local Ford dealer has declared the engine toast and quoted $10K for a swap with a new engine which obviously is not what I want to spend on a 2016. I only lost about a pint of coolant from the reservor. I was driving home and towards the last 5 miles of my journey I felt there was a power loss. However the car never overheated. The car was acting like it had a misfire. Upon checking the dipstick I discovered the level to be higher than before and I immediately suspected water pump failure. My oil did not quite turn into milk shake, just looked a little thinner if anything. The car had a pending code P0022.
At first the stealer just said to replace the pump and timing chain but when I mentioned to them that the car had a pending code P0022 and it would not stay running they changed stance and told me that they suspected bearing failure and recommend changing the entire engine. How much labor should there be for an engine swap on this vehicle?

Since my original post my local Ford dealer has declared the engine toast and quoted $10K for a swap with a new engine which obviously is not what I want to spend on a 2016. I only lost about a pint of coolant from the reservor. I was driving home and towards the last 5 miles of my journey I felt there was a power loss. However the car never overheated. The car was acting like it had a misfire. Upon checking the dipstick I discovered the level to be higher than before and I immediately suspected water pump failure. My oil did not quite turn into milk shake, just looked a little thinner if anything. The car had a pending code P0022.
At first the stealer just said to replace the pump and timing chain but when I mentioned to them that the car had a pending code P0022 and it would not stay running they changed stance and told me that they suspected bearing failure and recommend changing the entire engine. How much labor should there be for an engine swap on this vehicle?
Not sure about the labour but you can save over $500 by getting it from Levittown. If the dealer is going to do the work, it may not be worth it.
Levittown is a Forum vendor and offers members a discount. Coupon Codes for Forum Members

Peter

A pint of coolant in the engine, and no milkshake. Drove about 5 minutes… I’d get a second opinion from an independent shop. Of course, a dealership is going to suggest an entire engine replacement, it’s a dealership…

They definitely didn’t catch it at 5 minutes. It noticeably effected engine performance for 5 MILES.

Now it won’t stay running and is throwing a camshaft out of position code.

How much money are you gonna spend towing it around and paying for diagnostics on the pipe dream this motor is still good?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They definitely didn’t catch it at 5 minutes. It noticeably effected engine performance for 5 MILES.

Now it won’t stay running and is throwing a camshaft out of position code.

How much money are you gonna spend towing it around and paying for diagnostics on the pipe dream this motor is still good?
Considering he has coolant in the oil, it's very likely the water pump bearing failed in his case, instead of the seal (that typically leaks to the weep hole). Play in the bearing is likely causing inconsistent tension in the chain, which throws off the timing... thus the camshaft out of position code and engine performance issues. If OP really only has a pint of coolant in the motor, no milkshake....then it points to the WP bearing failing and the leaking beginning at the time the engine performance issues began. I'd actually say with more confidence, that this engine is salvageable. OP should pull the timing cover and look at the pump. If there is play in the bearing you got your answer.

Back