NEW 2015 Limited Owner - LOVE IT but a Few Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NEW 2015 Limited Owner - LOVE IT but a Few Questions

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
Hey Guys,

Maybe a month late posting because I been enjoying it, but I picked up my 2015 Limited Explorer in April. I gotta say... what a world of difference from my 2003 XLT. Holy smoke! The ride quality, suspension, steering, handling etc. doesn't even come close. I am VERY happy with the new model. It's like a luxury car in SUV format. I absolutely love it! A few things I noticed:

1. Why does the 2 triangular windows in the back doors and also the 2nd panel 2nd row large moonroof have a slightly different shade color of tint looking out? They're identical from the outside as far as darkness level but slightly different from the inside.
2. I now have 2K miles on it. Is there really a break-in period anymore or is that just bs at this point? I was taking it easy until recently where I was kinda forced to push it to close to 6K rpm's for passing.
3. Any way to turn off the feature where all the doors unlock when I pull open the handle from my door exiting the vehicle from the driver's seat?
4. Is it just mine or does the interior brightness stay bright if you turn on the parking/headlights in the daytime? Seems it will only dim if it's dark out when the parking/headlights go on.
5. When is the first oil change due and then thereafter? Is it really good to go beyond 3K miles?
6. Is the newer Explorer slower than my 2003 V8 with 239hp/285 ft lb. torque? I have a little less torque now but 51hp more. Maybe it's just so smooth that you don't feel it accelerating so quickly? I do have a modified Mustang that's lite and has tons of horsepower so getting into the Explorer.. .it feels VERY slow. lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Guys,

Maybe a month late posting because I been enjoying it, but I picked up my 2015 Limited Explorer in April. I gotta say... what a world of difference from my 2003 XLT. Holy smoke! The ride quality, suspension, steering, handling etc. doesn't even come close. I am VERY happy with the new model. It's like a luxury car in SUV format. I absolutely love it! A few things I noticed:

1. Why does the 2 triangular windows in the back doors and also the 2nd panel 2nd row large moonroof have a slightly different shade color of tint looking out? They're identical from the outside as far as darkness level but slightly different from the inside.
2. I now have 2K miles on it. Is there really a break-in period anymore or is that just bs at this point? I was taking it easy until recently where I was kinda forced to push it to close to 6K rpm's for passing.
3. Any way to turn off the feature where all the doors unlock when I pull open the handle from my door exiting the vehicle from the driver's seat?
4. Is it just mine or does the interior brightness stay bright if you turn on the parking/headlights in the daytime? Seems it will only dim if it's dark out when the parking/headlights go on.

5. When is the first oil change due and then thereafter? Is it really good to go beyond 3K miles?
6. Is the newer Explorer slower than my 2003 V8 with 239hp/285 ft lb. torque? I have a little less torque now but 51hp more. Maybe it's just so smooth that you don't feel it accelerating so quickly? I do have a modified Mustang that's lite and has tons of horsepower so getting into the Explorer.. .it feels VERY slow. lol

On #3 there should be a setting in your vehicle menu to change this setting (your owners manual should help to address)

#4 - this is the correct way this works based on ambient outside lighting and so glad this works this way as I hated how my 2006 dimmed the displays in bright light. If you pull under an overpass and sit, into a parking garage from daylight, the display will then dim accordingly.

I, too, went from a 2003 V8 Explorer to a 2014 4WD. I miss the broad power range of the big engine. The little bit of gas mileage savings doesn't really justify the loss of road horsepower.

I have a 2015 Limited as well, so I can try to answer some of your questions.

1. I looked at my windows and do not notice any difference. Maybe try cleaning all the interior windows to remove any residue or grease from the factory, then look again.

2. I vaguely remember reading something in the owner's manual about a break-in period, and I think it was 1500 miles, so you should be good. That being said, when I bought my last vehicle, I put 350 highway miles on it the first day, and never noticed any problems.

3. It's in the menu on the left-hand screen in the dash.

4. Check the display settings on the center screen.

5. You should easily be able to go 5k miles before an oil change IMO.

6. Perception is everything (going from a Mustang to an Explorer), but yes I agree that it is a little slow.

I think an early oil change on a new motor makes a lot of sense.

The best tip I can give is to read the Owner's Guide over and over. Many of the questions that are brought up here have answers in the Guide.
As for when to change your oil, ask 10 different people and you'll get 10 different opinions. There is a 19 page thread on this subject;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309598&highlight=oil+change

From the Owner's Guide;
BREAKING-IN
You need to break in new tires for approximately 300 miles
(480 kilometers). During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unique
driving characteristics. Avoid driving too fast during the first 1000 miles
(1600 kilometers). Vary your speed frequently and change up through
the gears early. Do not labor the engine. Do not tow during the first
1000 miles (1600 kilometers).

Calculating Fuel Economy
Do not measure fuel economy during the first 1000 miles (1600 kilometers)
of driving (this is your engine’s break-in period); a more accurate
measurement is obtained after 2000 miles–3000 miles (3200
kilometers–4800 kilometers). Also, fuel expense, frequency of fill-ups or
fuel gauge readings are not accurate ways to measure fuel economy.

Time to update your profile!;)

Happy motoring.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Hey Guys,

Spend a little more time learning the shift points and gas pedal sweet spots while in drive and "M"... I drove a "Limited" model for (2) weeks when my Jeep was being fixed from being rearended... Even with the 290HP I found that the Explorer was quite quick off the line and especially 30-80mph if/when I learned the shift points and gas pedal placement/pressure position.

After I returned it to Enterprise, (2) weeks later I bought a "Sport" on Monday... I've spent all week doing the aforementioned and hot damn the ***** is bad in regards to handling and acceleration... It got even better today when I decided to fill her up with 93 Octane and have a bit better idea after driving it in and out of traffic downtown Atlanta and into the Suburbs... I surprised a Range Rover Sport today... That said, the XLT and Limited's with the naturally asipirated 290HP engines are no slouch. I drove a mid-90's SHO, five speed for most of my college years and the Limited I tried was a hair faster... and the SHO could move!

I went from a 2004 ford Explorer limited edition to a 2004 Infiniti fx35 to a 2015 ford Explorer Sport.
Huge difference in speed, comfortability and handling. I gotta say ford has come a long way! I love my car

I have the 2014 Explorer Limited (no 4 x 4) and previously owned a 2003 V8 Eddie Bauer. Although I really like all the new features and smooth ride of the 2014, the pick up of the new V6 engine is slow. As most people have said, getting the extra miles to the gallon is great but I have to really mash down on the gas pedal to get acceleration. I miss the power and quickness of my previous engine.

I have the 2014 Explorer Limited (no 4 x 4) and previously owned a 2003 V8 Eddie Bauer. Although I really like all the new features and smooth ride of the 2014, the pick up of the new V6 engine is slow. As most people have said, getting the extra miles to the gallon is great but I have to really mash down on the gas pedal to get acceleration. I miss the power and quickness of my previous engine.
I guess it all depends what you are used to. I found the NA 3.5L V6 to be just fine for my driving style. But now that I've had the 3.5l V6 Ecoboost going back would likely have me feeling the same as you.:)
For future reference, it would be helpful if you added the 'trim' (Limited FWD) to your profile so it appears in the margin. :thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks Peter. I thought I read in the owners manual that during the break in period, the engine adjusts to driving style. I purchased the vehicle used with 16,000 miles, is there a type of reset that I could perform so the engine would adjust to me as the current driver?

Thanks Peter. I thought I read in the owners manual that during the break in period, the engine adjusts to driving style. I purchased the vehicle used with 16,000 miles, is there a type of reset that I could perform so the engine would adjust to me as the current driver?

Disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so should do the trick. Keep in mind that you will also lose some saved memory settings.

Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning
This feature is designed to increase durability and provide consistent
shift feel over the life of the vehicle. A new vehicle or transmission may
have firm shifts, soft shifts or both. This operation is considered normal
and will not affect function or durability of the transmission. Over time,
the adaptive learning process will fully update transmission operation.
Additionally, whenever the battery is disconnected or a new battery
installed, the strategy must be relearned.

Battery relearn
Because your vehicle’s engine is electronically controlled by a computer,
some control conditions are maintained by power from the battery. When
the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the engine must
relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum driveability and
performance.

See the Maintenance chapter, page 333 for more detail.

Peter

Great information. Much appreciated.

Back