• Register Today It's free!

New AC system not that cold

Rwrighttt

Reaction score
City, State
md
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 twin sticks
Hey everyone. I have a 1992 explorer that i just installed everything new AC related besides the Evap core set up for 134a. Cant get it to blow below 60 degrees with it being 80 outside.

Used all parts new parts for a 1992 model year including the orifice tube and a retro fitting 134 kit. I vacuumed it down for about an hour and half before adding 134a. Added some oil and 24oz ish freon. The gauge for the low side im using is the idiot type where you set the outside temp and get it into the gauge window. I have used it before on other cars and worked great. Not so much here.

Did some reading and saw something where the r12 condenser and or orifice tube might need to be changed to work with 134a.....

let me know, thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What parts did you replace? Compressor? Lines? Accumulator? The condenser shouldn't have any problem with 134a unless it's clogged. Did you flush your lines? How much oil did you add to the accumulator and what PAG grade?

The orifice for 134a is different than for r12, get the correct one. If you don't have the heater valve in the heater lines it won't cool as well because the heater is heating the air before the AC cools it down. my '94 with factory 134a will cool down to 34 degrees at the vent when it is 80 outside. BTW the accumulator is just a catch can in case the evaporator doesn't evaporate all the high pressure liquid, unless damaged it won't need replacing.

Actually the accumulator is also a dryer. Whenever the system is cracked open for an extended period of time or all the freon has been discharged, the dessicant inside gets saturated and wont remove moisture build up in the system. Oil and water don't mix very well and it doesn't take long for it make its way through the whole system gumming things up.

Accumulators are about $20 on rockauto. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

Sorry MrQ but you are wrong. I cut an r-12 Explorer one up for a project and it was empty inside. The old Receiver/Dryer had a desiccant inside but by the time the Explorer came along it was just a liquid trap.

The Role of the Suction Line Accumulator

Understanding-How-an-AC-Accumulator-and-Receiver-Drier-Works-

I am afraid you are wrong. Both devices are designed to trap moisture and will pickup debris and old oil and it is always recommended to replace the accumulator when the system is opened for an extended period of time or is old. The link you gave me was for residential a/c which is slightly different.

Back