New antifreeze GN&OR

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
Was going to pick up some Prestone Antifreeze when I noticed that it is now one antifreeze for both green and orange....does anyone have any info on this?
I know there are endless threads on the fact that you should not mix and stick with what you have.
I am a little skeptical on this new formula....

comments?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use the green stuff... Your explorer came with the green stuff, The Orange stuff called DexCool is used by GM.. Don't mix them, it'll turn into something thicker than molasses.

yeah Green Stuff is a lot easier to deal with anyways, and its cheaper

Ford_Racing_Guy said:
yeah Green Stuff ..... its cheaper
Do you need any other reason than that ?

MONMIX said:
Do you need any other reason than that ?

What happens if your little doggie drinks the green stuff? :( :( :(

The orange stuff is horrible; GM has had major corrosion problems with it. They're already switching back to the green stuff. Most antifreeze manufacturers already have a product out that can be used with green/orange, its universal.

I guess I should have clarified, if you want to buy Prestone, there is now only 1 choice, you can't buy green or orange, you buy this one that is good (supposidly) for both.
I didn't open the bottle, so I don't know the color, but with Prestone, there is no longer a choice.

What I may up doing is finding a store that has the good ol' green stuff....but as time goes on I am sure we all will have to go with the "1 formula"

WPurple, I ran into this same thing a few weeks ago; went into Wally World looking for the green, and they didn't have any. All they had was the "universal" type that would mix with either green or orange type coolant. That's what I bought. I'm sure it will do fine, because the label dosen't show any silicates (which I believe was the problem with the orange).

I thought the orange was silicate free? Either way its junk, I had a motor put in my blazer a few years back and within about 6 months it was started to gunk up. I'm happy the X has the green stuff in it.

IAmTodd said:
What happens if your little doggie drinks the green stuff? :( :( :(

I am alergic to dogs so,,,, " Drink up Fido !!!! "

Just kidding.
Keep the top on the container and dispose of promptly and properly.

MONMIX said:
" Drink up Fido !!!! "

Wrecktober ain't over yet punk!! ;)

IAmTodd said:
Wrecktober ain't over yet punk!! ;)

Ya gotta catch me first :D

Back