New brakes rusting already? Something is weird... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New brakes rusting already? Something is weird...

draft

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Mounty Sport
So, I got my drilled/slotted rotors and new pads put on, but the rotors after 2 weeks where the pad does NOT touch is turning an orangish-yellow, very ugly and I have no clue what is causing this. It can't be rust already, I mean, these are basically brand new. I'll get some pics in a bit, but maybe some of you guys can point me in a good direction here...

I can't scrub it off either really, and it just keeps multiplying itself...

Thanks the help in advance...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its rust.... It needs some kind of coating

Rust never sleeps. And on any uncoated steel, like Boomin said, it is inevitable. You might be able to carefully paint the non contacted surfaces, but the paint would have to be high temp, like an exhaust paint.

hi temp paint from like autozone or advanced auto sucks! The plasti-cote is what I used on my headers and it chipped right off. It was sopposed to be good to 1200 degrees. It also has a tendacy to leave a residue which everytime you touch it your hands turn the color of it. I painted my calipers also with it and it stayed coated but became dull looking and was not able to clean up at all!

Update.. these are going to be taken off, and replaced with Zinc coated drilled/slotted ones from the shop where I purchased them from. They're covering the rotors, full replacements, and then I gotta get them installed. I declare these off my truck now. :(

well, they are cast iron, and it will rust, most of the high end rotors sold for EXs are cad plated and will not rust.
consider slotted only, drilled rotors crack, been there, done that

These don't have enough holes to give it a high crack rating, and uh, I'm getting a zinc plated set next week, in otherwords, sealed. So it's all good.

Hokie said:
well crap, dad just put slotted/drilled rotors on his Mounty
Are the actually drilled, or dimpled? I cant remember, but there are a few brands out there that are actually dimpled instead of drilled- it looks like a drilled rotor but its a dimple instead of a hole..... the dimples wont stress fracture like the cross-drilled ones do...

james t said:
Are the actually drilled, or dimpled? I cant remember, but there are a few brands out there that are actually dimpled instead of drilled- it looks like a drilled rotor but its a dimple instead of a hole..... the dimples wont stress fracture like the cross-drilled ones do...

pretty sure they're drilled. I won't see it again until november so who knows

boominXplorer said:
hi temp paint from like autozone or advanced auto sucks! The plasti-cote is what I used on my headers and it chipped right off. It was sopposed to be good to 1200 degrees. It also has a tendacy to leave a residue which everytime you touch it your hands turn the color of it. I painted my calipers also with it and it stayed coated but became dull looking and was not able to clean up at all!

The Plasti-kote paint(if you bought the hi temp black in the orange can like i did) is the kind that has to be baked on after you paint. You probably did the same thing as me and neglected the instructions and went to town with it.

CURING: Allow 60 minutes airdry then cure by baking for 60 minutes at 600°F (316°C) in a non-household oven, or by operating the vehicle's engine for 60 minutes. Curing must be done within 8 hours of application.

Thats from thier site. I should learn to read instructions before doing something cause man it sucked scrubbing all that paint off a bunch of parts.

Back