New Build Idea?!

ech0sh4y

Reaction score
City, State
Oshkosh Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport 4x4
Hey Fellas -

I was thinking tonight I have a friend that owns a 93 or 94 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4 5 spd v6... it runs and drives needs some minor work... he wants $500 bucks for it. I might get it for less not sure.

My question... is this worthy of a build? I'd chop the back, make a cage, swap out probably 1/2 ton axles D44 9", maybe 3/4 if i can find some and/or maybe do a 5.0 swap:confused:... Is it worth building a exploder is the main question? All thougths are welcome!! (i know this is a explorer forum so i might get biased answers but I am just curious as to the guys who have done this before)

Brian

*Mods please move this if it's in the wrong section I apologize I was unsure

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Fellas -

I was thinking tonight I have a friend that owns a 93 or 94 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4 5 spd v6... it runs and drives needs some minor work... he wants $500 bucks for it. I might get it for less not sure.

My question... is this worthy of a build? I'd chop the back, make a cage, swap out probably 1/2 ton axles D44 9", maybe 3/4 if i can find some and/or maybe do a 5.0 swap:confused:... Is it worth building a exploder is the main question? All thougths are welcome!! (i know this is a explorer forum so i might get biased answers but I am just curious as to the guys who have done this before)

Brian

*Mods please move this if it's in the wrong section I apologize I was unsure

you come to an explorer forum to ask if it's worth building an explorer? haha hell yes you're gonna get biased answers.
and yes it is!
I get complements all the time on my explorer, you see lifted trucks all the time but when do you see a lifted SUV besides a h**p? Explorers look sexy lifted, having a V8 and a SAS will only make it sexier. I say do it! :thumbsup: And if you don't like it I'll buy it back from you for $500 when you're done. :p:

This depends on what you intend to use it for but ultimately, you know the situation best and our input is almost meaningless since you know best how much money you are willing to spend, your fabrication skills, your experience with vehicle modifications, and so on... But if you have your bases covered ($, time, skills, work area, tools, a game plan, and so on...) then go for it!

And if you don't like it I'll buy it back from you for $500 when you're done. :p:

Sounds like a plan! :eek:

Haha alright I'll have to start doing some research as to cost and what not! The fab skills I'm not worried about, the money shouldn't be an issue but things add up fast. It's going to be my trail rig/ weekend warrior. I never had a dedicated rig, just a DD that I wheeled. This time I want to go all out (well for me) and build a trail rig!!:p:

so for kick.. say i just swap the d30 for now and run it leaf spring.. does anyone know if u can buy premade hanger piece for the front? Or is this a waste of time should I just plan on d44/coils and figure out a 3 link of some sort?

Cheaper is better for now as i will need it come april.. any thoughts welcome!

A D30 is a pretty big downgrade from the stock axle, I would at minimum use the D44 if you're gonna swap.
Keeping the coils will be easier than switching to leafs, since much of the hardware is already there.

If you want cheap, why swap at all? The stock stuff is already pretty stout, and will hold up to some good wheeling. The 4.0L V6 has got plenty of torque too, if you gear the axles properly for your tires. Throw a short lift on it, trim the fenders for your bigger meats and take it out bashing.
Personally I think Explorers (and relatives like the Ranger and Bronco II) have a lot more bang for the buck in an offroad buildup than something more common like a J**p if you know how to do a little welding here & there. Many things that need upgrading on a Jeep is already there on the Ford (fixed-yoke t-case, sturdier axles, etc). Probably the Ex's only big downfall is the A4LD auto trans. But since it's a stickshift... :)

For $500, you can probably fix it for a few hundred more, get a 5.5" lift kit for the stock D35 TTB for a few hundred (or less if you find someone on here selling their stuff), then gears and tires to match. Gears and new wheels/tires will probably be the most expensive part of putting it together. I'd say a 93/94 Sport is the most worthy of a build, but of course I'm incredibly biased as well....

A D30 is a pretty big downgrade from the stock axle, I would at minimum use the D44 if you're gonna swap.
Keeping the coils will be easier than switching to leafs, since much of the hardware is already there.

If you want cheap, why swap at all? The stock stuff is already pretty stout, and will hold up to some good wheeling. The 4.0L V6 has got plenty of torque too, if you gear the axles properly for your tires. Throw a short lift on it, trim the fenders for your bigger meats and take it out bashing.
Personally I think Explorers (and relatives like the Ranger and Bronco II) have a lot more bang for the buck in an offroad buildup than something more common like a J**p if you know how to do a little welding here & there. Many things that need upgrading on a Jeep is already there on the Ford (fixed-yoke t-case, sturdier axles, etc). Probably the Ex's only big downfall is the A4LD auto trans. But since it's a stickshift... :)

Thats so inspirational (spell?) :D OH I got news!! This spring he said he is going to just give me the exploder I am going to try to convince him sooner :thumbsup:

wish some one would give me another sploder... for bashing.

Alright so I just found out I won't get the exploder for a month or two :rolleyes:

So in order to try and build it quicker for the dead line... I decided to try the ol' TTB lift, you guys say it can handle up to 33's with mild offroading, correct?

Also what do you guys recommend for lift kit brands? I don't really want just the cheapo tuff country brand, somethign with extended radius arms if they make them for flex, keep in mind off road rig only! :D Any other suggestions for build the suspension and axles for 33 (i'd like 35s but i'd rather error on safe side) I am also going to lock the front and rear with a simple aussie/powertrack locker while swap the gears to 456 or so?

How does this sound for now?

33s, mild offroading, and then some (I've been running 35s on mine for some time now). Swapping out the stock u-joints for Spicer 5-760Xs and a set of Warn Jeep hubs will add some more durability to it as well.

Skyjacker is probably the best in TTB lifts (they don't list them specifically for the Ex, look under "Ranger" instead). Their coils are about as flexy as it gets without going to Jeep or early Bronco coils.
Class II kits include the extended arms.

4.56 is perfect gears for 33s, although if you think you want 35s, then I'd go no less than 4.88.

Back