new development, cat. converter out. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new development, cat. converter out.

92expl0der

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
So I finally shoved enough ATF into my truck to take it on its first drive over 25mph in a while since I havent fixed my modulator valve yet.

I was doing about 40-45 mph for about a mile and when I came to a red light I notice smoking coming from underhood, I pulled to a gas station to find smoke coming from the back part of the engine bay, a look underneath the truck found a smoking catalytic converter and the metal was making a tinking noice, i put some cool water on it and let it cool down before limping home.

Can I fix this issue or am I just going to have to buy a new cat.? I was looking into getting a high flow magnaflow cat off ebay for like 65 bucks are those any good?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The leaking modulator is throwing ATF into the intake, then it's going into a hot catalytic converter. Don't replace the catalytic converter without first repairing the problem with the leaking modulator.

Okay looks like I will be spending my weekend underneath my truck, my favorite place haha. Oh and well how flamible/combustible is ATF? :D

Yeah I thought about doing that, but I would have to take up my carpet too and that scares me a little bit. I would have to take out both front seats, console, and door sills to access the panel right?

what size socket do i need for the valve?

Back