New Explorer owner questions on audio equipment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer owner questions on audio equipment

Kikinz24

Reaction score
City, State
Youngstown, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer base
Hi I purchased a 2015 base 3.5 4x4 for my wife if has the stock 4" radio no sinus, light wreck. In the front... I also purchased a 2014 limited hit hard in the rear... It has the my Ford touch 8" Sony radio. All electronics and a niceer gauge cluster... Trying to find info on switching it all out.. Ive always had gm vehicles and can easily swap systems out on those. This seems to be harder.. From what I've searched. But as I said I have the entire vehicle to pull from if it's possible

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Kikinz24.:wave:
Got a bit of a chuckle when I read the part where you said it has "no sinus". That should be 'sirius'.;)
There was a video of a procedure involving adding the 8" system but I wasn't able to find it the last time I searched for it. I'm not sure if anyone has swapped the cluster.

Peter

I am doing this exact thing to my XLT. I already have the Nav system with the middle audio system and just added the Audio control module w/HD to mine. You have the perfect opportunity to answer some questions that I have about upgrading these Ford systems. Since you have an EX with the Sony system, you have all the components necessary for attempting this upgrade. I'm doing this without really knowing if it is just possible to install the components of the Sony into mine using the existing wiring harness which I believe to be universal to all the audio systems. You will find this out if it is true.

I don't know if you know what the Sony system consist of so, I give you some info. It is a Sony system because Ford used a Sony amp, located in the right rear in the area where the sub woofer would be installed. The DVD player is the aforementioned audio control module. I have a complete chart of the system with locations in the 'ForScan' thread, starting at page 17, I believe. Speaking of ForScan, you'll need more of the info in this thread to set up the new components you are installing in your base Ex. All the info needed to do this is in that thread and should still be on the main page of this forum section. Anyway, here is the video I believe will help with the install of the 'head unit' and the 8" display.

Welcome to the Forum Kikinz24.:wave:
Got a bit of a chuckle when I read the part where you said it has "no sinus". That should be 'sirius'.;)
There was a video of a procedure involving adding the 8" system but I wasn't able to find it the last time I searched for it. I'm not sure if anyone has swapped the cluster.

Peter
Hah yea autocorrect got ahold of that one on my phone. I know there has to be a way lol especially when I have the entire vehicle available. The retrofit. Com is close but uses their modified system. And I've found aftermarket android Look alike.. But nothing on the actual factory parts being used. I know on gm cars it's at most change audio wiring harness. Add amps and have it flashed with a tec 2 to marry the vin from the bcm to the radio.

Thanks MikB. That's the video I was think of. :thumbsup:

Peter

Back