• Register Today It's free!

New guy

stng_96

Reaction score
City, State
Marion Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer 5.0 AWD
Hello all, been looking lately at getting rid of my ranger and getting an explorer. So I have been lurking on this site for a little while learning, and figured I would go ahead and introduce myself. Names Travis, 22 years old, Mechanical engineering student.

Ill go ahead and ask you guys if this is a good deal. The explorer I'm looking at is a 99 Eddie Bauer. Has 90500 on the clock, 5.0, awd, charcole interior, its a very nice truck. Problems include a nice dent on the rear hatch, and the front bumper is all crack and spiderwebbed from where someone must have pushed into something. Now, the dealer is asking 4900 for it, is this a decent deal? Should I talk them down? I know they have had it for a while, so if I can sell my truck, ill probably try to deal a little on the price.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome To The Forum! From what I seen from dealers lately, that isn't bad but most people aren't buying trucks like they use to and since it has an beat up front bumper and a dent in the hatch, I would try to negotiate the price down.

Also beware the awd if you plan to off road any. Sounds cool to me! What you should really ask is this, would i feel like i got a deal if i bought this truck for X amount of dollars? My friends father once told me how he sold his old F100 at a dealership, he only wanted to make 1500 on it, but the dealership was asking 3400. They told him they could sell it for that much easily. Sure enough, someone bought it for 3400. He felt happy because he got his 1500, the dealership was happy because they made some money, and the guy who bought it felt like he got a deal, even though he could have easily bought it for 1500. Its a win, win, win situation. Sorry about the ramble.. haha :p

Yeah, dont worry, i think, and think, and then i think about thinking about how much I want to pay for it. I think it is a good deal so, we will see. This would only be a partial off road vehicle, so what are the big set backs as far as the all wheel drive? How does it handle the snow? I have been reading about swapping out tcases to get 4wd, and that looks like something I may want to do.

welcome u got pics of the eddie that u might be getting

Many people I spoke to that had the awd say it performs great in the snow. And people that have done the t-case swap say the low side of the transfercase works wonders off road because its nice and low, its something I would probably do if I were to swap a 5.0 into my explorer.

Yeah, the manual T-case swap sounds like a definite. If I do end up getting this truck, that will be at the top of my list. I have a mustang, and a Harley as well, and talk on other forums quite a bit, so I am pretty good at using the search and reading through threads to get answers, and the 4406 Tcase swap sounds like it is for sure within my range.

Pics of the Possible purchase

ATT782734.jpg

ATT782732.jpg

ATT782730.jpg

ATT782728.jpg

Looks pretty good

Looks real good to me!

so, i ran a carfax on this explorer, not sure its such a good idea anymore, im pretty sure the thing has about 150k on it, not 90k

Back