New help getting reasonably lowered Ex back in alignment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New help getting reasonably lowered Ex back in alignment

ThnxSVT

Reaction score
City, State
Hendersonville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT, '98 XLT
Hi,
I have a 2003 Explorer XLT 4wd that is eating front tires after lowering it a few years back, to the tune of a set of front tires every ~15K miles (tires are Yokohama Prada Spec X). My truck is lowered using a Ground Force kit (1.6" front/rear) and Moog camber adjusters front/rear.

After the install I'm not able to get the front camber back in spec. It's currently at -1.7 degrees, and is eating front tires along the inside edge because of it. The rears are wearing nice and even, and the rear camber is in spec (sorry, I don't remember the rear camber measurement offhand).

Does anyone know anything else I can do to get more adjustment out of the front camber? It's like I need a slightly longer upper control arm (maybe .75-1") to get the spindle back near vertical. I know BTF makes a longer set of upper control arms for the offroad crowd that could possibly work for me, but they are mucho expensive (given their apparent quality I am not implying they are overpriced), but these also have an extended uniball which I think is going to cause interference with the wheel splash shields/wheel well given that my truck is lowered, vs. the 4" lift that guys typically rock when they use the BTF upper control arms.

In case it's useful in helping to figure out the problem/solution with my truck, I personally replaced the upper control arms and lower ball joints, as well as inner and outer tie rods with all Ford pieces about 40K miles ago. I also replaced both wheel hub/bearing assemblies about 20K miles ago. The only thing that's still stock on the front is the front struts, but I don't see how they could contribute the camber issue since they are coilovers (if it helps, my truck has 130K miles on it), plus the damping of the front shocks seems just fine.

Thank you in advance for any help. I'm desperate to find a solution, as the truck now needs another set of front tires, but I'm really trying to hold off on installing new tires until I can get the front alignment back in spec. I'm more than cable of tearing the truck apart myself to troubleshoot, modify parts or install new parts, so please feel free to propose any ideas you may have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, obviously I meant for the title of this thread to be "Need help getting reasonably lowered Ex back in alignment"

Did you pull out the factory camber washers when you put in the Moog camber adjusters? I know it may sound too easy but just a thought. The washers that hook into the frame?

Did you pull out the factory camber washers when you put in the Moog camber adjusters? I know it may sound too easy but just a thought. The washers that hook into the frame?
Thank you for the response. I sure wish it were that easy. I did the install of the springs and camber adjusters originally and am sure they're out. I also had the LF upper suspension apart recently as I was trying to figure out ideas to get ideas on how I could get more range of adjustment and know that the stock camber washers were out.

I had to grind the slots larger for the upper control arms when I lowered mine. Very easy where the studs go through the chassis on the upper arms, you have elongate the hole farther out about 1/4".

Back