New old cam timing info for sohc 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New old cam timing info for sohc 4.0

amessie

Reaction score
City, State
NOTOS EUROS
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
Technical Bulletin
11/03
Information is from best available sources and is accurate at the time of publication. However,
Jasper Engines & Transmissions ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY and cannot be held liable for any
results or consequences regarding the use of this information.
Cam Timing Caution For 1997-2003 Ford
4.0L VIN E Engines
The AERA Technical Committee offers the following information concerning the cam
timing for 1997-2003 Ford 4.0L VIN E engines. This information should be referenced
before obtaining service manual information as some publications have erroneous content.
Ford published the correct information in a service bulletin dated May 2001 as part of
a cam chain guide campaign. Subsequent year manuals have the updated information
depending on their source. Basically, the left and right side camshafts require 180°
difference in their phasing. The engine, however, will run if both banks are timed in the
same position. When correctly timed, the right bank camshaft valve timing should be 180°
from the position the left bank camshaft is presently at.

I believe this is a reference to Haynes manuals because when I precisley followed the Haynes manual step by step my cams were in phase (did'nt run worth a damn). Simply put here is what you want.

With 1# cylinder at TDC the special cam postioning tool should fit BOTH cams with the slot in the end of the cam offset TOWARD the heads. (runs like new)

Back