• Register Today It's free!

New Shocks

mf94_4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Massachussetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Mountaineer
My truck has been in need of new shocks for a while now, finally getting around to doing it and i was wondering if anyone had any advice to offer on Pro Comp shocks, they offer the ES3000's, and ES9000's I was looking at Ranchos too but i do almost all on road driving and i heard that they would be harsh on pavment because they are a more off road geared shock.

So.... I have narrowed it down to the Pro Comp shocks between the ES3000's and the ES9000's, i belive the 9000's are stiffer and offer better handling on and off road, and the 3000's are softer for more comfort / pavement geared driving. I myself spend about 90% of the time on road and ocasionally hit a trail or two. Any experience with either of these shocks?, Wich would be more suitable for mostly on road driving, with the ocassional trail romp? Any advice is appreciated, thankss.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There was a thread recently about both models of Procomps. A little search should yield good results.

I just put Monroe Reflex shocks all around and love them. I just bought mine with 130K on what looks like the originals. I also do very little off road. I do city driving so I did want something that could handle potholes and construction zones, and so far, these are great.

I put 4 ES3000's on mine just last week and I like them but I imagine they would be too stiff for many people ....

Now it rides like a truck but that was the whole point of changing them in the first place, to get rid of the Soccer Mom ride and body roll inherent in the too soft (for this vehicle) ride .... braking has improved quite noticably, hardly any 'nose dive' now, the 'speed bump waddle' is about gone and the truck just feels safer, more controlable and like a truck ...

I think I will be going with the ES3000's, im looking for improved handling characteristiscs on a budget, just to stiffen up the suspension a little ie: less body roll, and nosedive..... but i dont do much offroading so i didnt want it to be super stiff, Thanks Longjohn119 for the input, seems to be excactly what im looking for.

I will probably order them from Summit Racing in a couple days, i cant wait to get them in

Longjohn119 said:
I put 4 ES3000's on mine just last week and I like them but I imagine they would be too stiff for many people ....

Now it rides like a truck but that was the whole point of changing them in the first place, to get rid of the Soccer Mom ride and body roll inherent in the too soft (for this vehicle) ride .... braking has improved quite noticably, hardly any 'nose dive' now, the 'speed bump waddle' is about gone and the truck just feels safer, more controlable and like a truck ...

I will second this, I just put 4 ES3000's on my 94 Exploder. This was the only vehicle I've been in that actually made me nauseous going over bumps. The ride has MUCH improved, I wanted a bit stiffer ride because I want it to ride like a truck. I haven't been able to take it offroad since I got it, but the on-road ride is excellent. :thumbsup:

Back