• Register Today It's free!

New Sport Trac Owner

markedman450

Reaction score
City, State
Enola, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport
Well my 01 explorer sport is dead, idiot kid was racing and ran into the back of me flipping the explorer. So i got a 02 sport trac. Now im used to 2 12 mtx subs and know thats out of the question. My question is what works the best under the seat. I saw boxes but do they secure well and with me already needing to put a 4 channel amp in for my speakers, will there be any more room? I also saw the mtx thunderform that shots the sub down. Anyone try it. I dont need the bass i used to have but would like a decent sound. Does MTX give that or will it be better to just get a box made for under the seat and put a good shallow mount sub in?

That sucks losing your Sport like that but at least you're here to ask questions! I can't help you with the subs question but I'm sure there is someone here who can/will.

I bought a beneath-seat 10" sub box from Ebay for $90 and put in a JL Audio W1 and it has an Alpine amp with the stock speakers and head unit. With rap music it bumps hard and with other music it adds a good filler and gives the music a nice tone. IMO you don't need anything to blow your ears out but a single 10 or single 12 should do the trick for you as far as a diverse range of sounds go for different genres of music. I haven't tried the sub that shoots down but I don't think it would create much of a difference. As far as space goes. The sub box fits under 2/3 of the seat and the amp fits under the other 1/3 and they both are secure. The only time my sub box has ever moved is when I've had to SLAM on my brakes to avoid an accident. The one downside of having the beneath the seat box is that you can't fold down your seats.

Back