• Register Today It's free!

New to me 1996 Aerostar.

Michael aRemington

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Aerostar XLT
Bought a 68K 96 Aerostar XLT RWD 4 liter, Extended for my 17 year old son. Should be a solid College storage unit, Mountain bike hauler and camping vehicle. Were in Colorado.

Had to pop for a new transmission and installed a Ford limited slip at the same time. 8.8 rear end.

Were in the process of replacing the entire cooling system. Just flushed the engine and will remove the Radiator, Hose, Water pump, Belt tensioner, belt and thermostat and found a cracked fan blade. Any best Fans to buy? Anything i'm missing while I have the parts removed?

I started to install a Addco rear sway bar and it won't fit. hits the differential and the bar is to wide for my control arms to move it forward. Have a call into tech support. Is this a issue with others?
I have new front sway bar bushings and end links ready to install when the cooling system is done.

My Mini Van is a Town and Country with 128K on it and i'm wishing it had the higher ground clearance and less expensive parts that the old Ford has.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used a 97-04 4.3L S10 12 blade fan and a severe duty fan clutch for a 98 4.0L ranger. The same setup fit my 4.0L grand cherokee as well. Welcome to the forum.

I used a new Auto-Zone super cool fan and fan clutch. Done it on my present Aerostar...………..once on my old Aerostar. Never have had a problem.
Why'd you replace rear differential at only 68K miles? It should've been a limited slip also.
OH! And buy a FORD/Motorcraft thermostat. Don't fool with others.

I had an open differential 8.8 in my 91 van, I also swapped in a limited slip. A one wheel wonder in snow or ice is no fun.

Have been taking apart the cooling system this weekend. Water pump and thermostat are out! Was able to rent a fan puller/clutch holder which is very nice! Found out my fan was cracked. Took the Alternator and bracket off which made loads of space to reach other stuff.

Cooling system project finished. Next time I'll fit the coolant hose to the pump before mounting it.

Found out the Addco bar won't fit. I suspect it would fit a 7" differential but not the 8.8 I have. back to the mother ship.

Pictures of Flash

07149FCE-056A-4FC7-9237-9B22720CB01B.jpeg

CBD90308-EFBA-4931-B96B-73F3B5499B70.jpeg

5628534B-CCE7-4329-892D-1B4D6A599AA1.jpeg

36E63305-95F6-46CA-B40F-317C65178DDD.jpeg

3B30E9AE-6114-4A87-9125-C4CAFBE7E42F.jpeg

Love the color.

Nice van!

Just a note, you downrated the guy above the photo posts ;)

Back