New to the board and have some Q's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to the board and have some Q's

Holty

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer XLT AWD V8
Let me introduce myself,...my name is Josh (a.k.a. Holty) and I"m new here. Just wanted to say the site looks great and has lot's of good info. BTW, I'm not new to Explorers, I traded in my '92 for my '99, but I am however new to modifying them.

My first question is....I'm looking for some 17 inch Cobra R wheels like alot of you guys on here have already. Does anybody know a good place to buy from? The cheapest place so far I have found was around $600 with shipping. I am open to buying used wheels in good condition and I don't mind the replica versions either, actually I prefer them. Just as nice but less money.

My next question is.....Is there a website that can tell me what options my Explorer is equipped with? Say if I type in my vin#, and it would search a database with the epuipment and give me the specs on my truck? I'm looking to find out if my Explorer has a towing package or not? I would also like to know if it has a tranny cooler on it?

thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the easiest way to know if you have a tranny cooler is to look for it.......

It will be right in front of the a/c condenser. You should be able to see if from the grill area.

Cobra R wheels would run about ~$200 (replica). Search ebay and they should have them.

thanks for the input, i'll look under the hood to see if it has a tranny cooler. I didn't realize you could see it from under the hood, and didn't know what to look for underneath the truck. Does anybody have any pics of a tranny cooler mounted on the explorer for reference?

Thank you! That did help alot, very informative site. I called my dealer yesterday to ask them about the towing package. The salesmen said he looked it up and I have the "D4" rearend which is the limited slip 3.73's. He said that the only way I could have gotten that rearend is if my truck had a towing package. Is this true? Also, if you click on the link in the previous post, it lists the engine being a 4.9L V8? and in other places it list it as a 5.0L V8?

It's a 5.0 liter. I don't know who came up with that 4.9 stuff.

Back