• Register Today It's free!

new to this

eunique

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
Hello all! I am new to this forum and new to Ford Explorers.
I just got my green 1999 XLT 4door, automatic, 6 cyl.
For the most part, she is ok, needed a lot of TLC. I spent 2 days cleaning her up. 245,000 plus miles on rebuilt tranny.
I was thinking about changing trans oil and filters. What do you guys suggest as far as tranny fluid? Redline/synthetic?
My biggest problem is that she feels "loose," almost wandering on the road, not unsafe. Not really any wheel wobble. It feels like suspension or something. I just replaced the 2 front shocks w/ Gabriel high performance and will be replacing the 2 rear w/ KYBs! She already feels slightly better w/ the 2 new fronts. Will try to get rears done tomorrow. The 2front tires have some inner wear, so also suspecting alignment, she seems to pull to the right slightly.
Any suggestions on this problem? I will be getting alignment done after the rear shocks.

What about bushings? Could those be suspect also?

Thank you in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Welcome to this forum! Check the tie rods, ball joints, and the alignment.

thanks, i looked into it. Firestone stated that the ball joints and tie rods were fine. the alignment was off, and they have maxed out the camber. i need to get better adjusters. I'm looking at Ingall's camber kit or others? any suggestions?
then, take it back to Firestone for realignment.
it does ride a lot better now after the new shocks and alignment, although still pulling to the right.

Welcome!

Do an inspection yourself on the ball joints and tie rod ends. Sometimes they can over look stuff.

Welcome!

Do an inspection yourself on the ball joints and tie rod ends. Sometimes they can over look stuff.

thanks! i will try that.
ill keep you all updated with what happened?
what about the torsion bars? could that be the possibility of the
"wobbly movement?"

bent cross member support

Welcome!

my wife picked up the explorer today from getting realigned.
I replaced the R side camber adjusters to an aftermarket camber kit from Napa Autoparts. Firestone realigned it and got it finished this morning.
I'm not sure yet how good it is now. They said it was all done.
When I was replacing the camber kit, I noticed the cross member was dented and bent slightly. This was probably what has caused the suspension to be off. If it drives ok, I will leave it as it is for now. When I get a chance, I will get another piece from the junkyard and replace the bent support.

Anybody know of a better or aftermarket, maybe stronger support member piece that they have replaced their Explorer with?
I am not planning on 4 wheeling this Exlporer, just a daily driver and fun project, maybe some better rims and tires in the future.

Back