Newbie In Australia with Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie In Australia with Questions

lextsy

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Hi all,

My name is Peter and I have registered on your site as i am about to buy a ford explorer here and want some advice.

I have about 15k Australia to spend and i am looking for a Black 1998 XLT with leather seats, stacker and sunroof.

All i can find around here is either a Black XLT ( or so the guy says it is) with no leather, no cd probably the base XLT. ( or does no CD mean its not a limited?) or there is a Plum Explorer with CD, leather and sunroof with all electrics.

I am undecided whether to buy a the Plum with all options or Black with none.
My mind is saying Black but my heartis saying Plum lol.

The only other choice I have is to purchase a 2000 model (new shape) for about 21k and get some finance but i didnt want to take a loan.

Can anyone offer me some advice. ?
I dont intend to do much offroading but want a cruiser and to stick some big wheels on it. Is there anything I need tolookout for with these models? anything i should check when buying??

I think the explorers came to Australia in 96.

The Plum leather XLT i have been told has a rattle on startup and some hunting in the revs when it starts but then is fine and from what I have heard the black one is fine.

Here is links for your reference or to check them out

PLUMONE

MAKE/MODEL: Ford Explorer Limited
YEAR: 1998
PRICE: $15,000.00

Ford Explorer 1998 Limited Leather trim, all elect opt, LTD rims, plum colour, looks smooth, $15000, WVA-019 EASTLAKES 0404-02 7176.

STATE: NSW FIRST PUBLISHED: 20 Oct 2004
SOURCE: Private Classifieds (Weekly Trading Post (Sydney))

Black

MAKE/MODEL: Ford Explorer XLT
YEAR: 1998
PRICE: $15,900.00
TRANSMISSION: automatic

Ford Explorer XLT 1998, auto, 7 seats, black, 10 mths rego, $15900, ARL-46H GREEN VALLEY 02-9607 6820.

STATE: NSW FIRST PUBLISHED: 30 Oct 2004
SOURCE: Private Classifieds (Weekly Trading Post (Sydney))

or is it better to spend a bit more and get the current shape

MAKE/MODEL: Ford Explorer XLT
YEAR: 2000
ODOMETER: 105,000kms
PRICE: $21,990.00
TRANSMISSION: automatic

Ford Explorer XLT 2000 auto, black, 105000kms, air, pwr steer/windows, central lock, cruise, fully optioned, EFI, ABS, airbag, CD, alloys, beautiful/original cond, $21990, WVM-554. DL-17689 RYDE 02-9807 2933, .

Thanks for ur help guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site, man thats a tuffy, black with no options or plum with everything, I personally like the limted's but plum in color, I don't know about all that unless your a female and I don't think thats the case. As far as the financing, I personally would just get what you have the money for & not finance that way you don't gotta worry about payments and can put all your extra money into your xploder ;)

Move away from from the rattler! More trouble than it's worth if it's the timing chain and it most likely is.

For $15,000 something good will come up, I remember that from when I was hunting for mine.
Make sure you do a REVS, you might be surprised what shows up. I knocked back 2 out of 7 on the REVS alone.

what is the rattler????

is the base models the ones with timing chains??
or the limited?

By '98 all the V6s were SOHC and have timing chains, certainly by '00.

I've got a manual on DVD, but it's all American specs.

Hey there i have a 98 xlt white sohc v6, and are in brisbane. the rattling is most certainly the rear timing chain and will cost ( have been quoted in excess of $3500) to replace, involving removal of the engine, replace timing chains ( yes there is 2 timing chains 1 front and 1 rear ). Go the black with no options as i installed my own cd player ( very easy). XLT models in australia came with the option of leather and 10 stacker cd/cassete player but are rare. only the limitited models come standard with cd/leather etc. but run lower profile tyres and can be a ***** to find equivalent tyres over here without costing the earth.
Note : if you choose Any explorer DO a Major Service immediatly .... plugs(triple platinum NGK, leads OE part, rip out your air box and fit a k&n air cone filter easy to adapt . fuel filter and oil filter i recommend PENZOIL street machine oil and yes it will take all of the 5 litres.

If you need any more help or questions ask , and have fun they are a great 4x4 .

I have a 96 xlt and we want to put in a cd stacker ford want $500 au stuff that we were thinking of putting in a n fm modulated but where do we put it and how hard will it be

have you got a part # for the NGK triple platinum

Back