Newbie question for jacking up the track | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie question for jacking up the track

dcdyd

Reaction score
City, State
Eden Prairie, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
I am new to car care and am trying to learn from the beginning. I have 98 EB V8 and a 3Ton floor jack and stands.

If I need to jack up both sides of the front of the car, do I jack the car once in the middle or twice at each side for putting two stands under the car?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

safest way is to jack up one side first, place your stand, and do the same for the other... doing it from the center you might not always get it to the height you need. its how i do it.

I always do one side at a time. This helps prevent the vehicle from falling off the jack.

absolutely... having a car fall on you is not an enjoyable experience.... it sucks...

Thanks for all the instructions.

I am new to car care and am trying to learn from the beginning. I have 98 EB V8 and a 3Ton floor jack and stands.

If I need to jack up both sides of the front of the car, do I jack the car once in the middle or twice at each side for putting two stands under the car?

Here is a vote for the middle when it is safe and practical to do so. It's conditioned with the warning that you get the jack CENTERED side to side and watch to make sure both sides are going up evenly. If they aren't, drop the car back down and reposition the jack. Once up, then you place your jack stands - you !!!NEVER!!! crawl under a car supported only by a jack!!!!!

I've done both.

If I jack it up in the middle, I have SUPPORT on either side, ie jack stands.

Back