newbie;

prem

Reaction score
City, State
hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 b2300 2wd manual
hello;
i'm a newbie in more ways than one, but i'm 70 so, well i'm not a baby newbie except....
i just got a 2001 b2300 2wd 2.3l from my brother-in-law and it sat so long i had to put in a new battery.
i am a retired carpenter and very little mechanic's experience.
the engine turned over and after many many on and off starting trys it ran at a high idle cycling between
1500 and 2500 rpm. i kept it going by fast gas pedal compressions.
when i stopped the gas pedal stuff it just slowly died.
now it won't even cough when i try to start it.
obdII has no codes to read. i foolishly erased stored codes thinking i would get it running.
i will drain old gas and put in new.
anybody have any suggestions?
thanks a lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. Check the electrical connection & remove & clean the idle air control (IAC). Had this similar problem on a 99 Explorer.

Welcome to the forum. Check the electrical connection & remove & clean the idle air control (IAC). Had this similar problem on a 99 Explorer.
thank-you. i've been on youtube and did exactly that and all good.
i also cleaned the maf sensor.
i got this truck from my brother-in-law. he left it to sit almost a year.
i think he never changed the air filter because it had actually melted into what looked like dead leaves in the air box.
AND i found a piece of it in the manifold behind the iac!
and in the air ducts.
i'm pretty sure it is the fuel pump but i can't find out how to see if there is power to the pump.
no owners manual and no schematics for fuses/relays

Get a fuel pressure gauge & check the fuel pressure. There is a Schrader valve on the fuel rail where you can hook up the fuel pressure gauge to test the fuel pump pressure to see if it is bad. Here is a link to show how to test the fuel pressure & where the Schrader valve is located.

Back