No 4WD! Help!

kevdogg32

Reaction score
City, State
Lambertville, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac 4x4 auto
Hi everyone. I need a little help.

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD automatic, and recently replaced the battery with a new one.

About a week later, I noticed the light panels behind the heating/cooling control panel were out. The heat and air still work, there just are no lights (when the headlights are turned on) to see what your settings are in the dark. This, I assumed, was a fuse.

Well, before I checked the fuses, I tried to change into 4WD High, and found the 4WD high and low would NOT ENGAGED (usually an faint "click" is heard when switched into 4WD, then the light on the dashboard panel indicates that 4WD has been enabled).

Naturally, I thought this was a fuse problem, so I searched all fuses in the cab compartment and under the hood that were labeled 4X4, aux lighting, heating controls, 4x4 module, etc. None were bad, surprisingly.

I am wondering if I am experiencing a 4x4 module gone bad, a switch, or WHAT?

HELP?

Thanks, Kevin

Well, hold on. I guess I was searching the wrong threads in this forum, I looked under the 2002-2005 Explorers and found several similar posts. I am going to look into changing the 4X4 module behind the glove box.

Still pondering why the lights behind the heater controls panel would not work, perhaps on the same circuit?

My CD says your 4WD Control Module is behind the passenger cowl side trim panel. If you end up changing it let us know if it solves your problems. Good luck.

Back