No 4x4

impulse001

Reaction score
City, State
Scotch Plains, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hey all,

I have a 2002 XLT and my 4x4 does not work. The instrument panel does not light when I press 4x4 auto , high, or low. I am actually not sure if it ever worked, since I had not needed it since I bought the truck a couple years ago.

I did plenty of research but still had a couple questions.. I understand that I have to replace the 4x4 module, so I took a drive to the junk yard and picked one off of another explorer. It was only $20 so I figured I would try it before anything. When I plugged it in, the 4x4 still didn't work.

After that I went on to the fuses, the fuses under the hood marked 4x4 (v-batt 1) and 4x4 (v-batt 2) were blown. I replaced took them out and when I went to put new ones in, they blew right away. I unplugged the junk yard module and put new fuses in, but right when I plugged in the junk yard module they would blow again. The module actually started to smell like it was burning, so I quickly unplugged it and threw it out. When I use my old module, the fuses do not blow but the 4x4 doesn't work either.

Is there a specific module part number I need, or can something else be causing this, like a cut wire or short?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how do you know its not working, it may just be a bulb thats burnt out or something stupid like that

how do you know its not working, it may just be a bulb thats burnt out or something stupid like that

Hey, I changed out the switch as well and the 4x4 low light still didn't come on.

The 4x4 low light does not come on until you are in 4x4 low. Did you shift to neutral while standing still with foot on brake and engage the 4x4 low then shift to drive? Does the 4x4 high come on as soon as you touch it? 4x4 auto gives no lighted indication it is just there when needed.

The 4x4 low light does not come on until you are in 4x4 low. Did you shift to neutral while standing still with foot on brake and engage the 4x4 low then shift to drive? Does the 4x4 high come on as soon as you touch it? 4x4 auto gives no lighted indication it is just there when needed.

Yes, I did try all that and none of it works.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Back