• Register Today It's free!

No ABS light but no ABS

surf

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I have a 93 4WD XLT with ABS issues. The ABS light comes on normally during start up and then goes off. The ABS light does not come on while drivnig or during braking. The ABS system seems to work sometimes (when braking hard on wet pavement) and other times the brakes just lock up (most often in really slick situations like mud). Any suggestions as to what I should check before taking it in to a brake place? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the ABS light suppose to come on when its engaging???

Not sure exatly what your problem is? I hardly ever brake hard enough to lock up the wheels???

The ABS light isn't suppose to comeon when it's activated. It only flashes or stays on if there is an issue.

-Drew

I have a 93 4WD XLT with ABS issues. The ABS light comes on normally during start up and then goes off. The ABS light does not come on while drivnig or during braking. The ABS system seems to work sometimes (when braking hard on wet pavement) and other times the brakes just lock up (most often in really slick situations like mud). Any suggestions as to what I should check before taking it in to a brake place? Thanks in advance for all your help.

What you are saying is that your abs dose not seem to be functioning properly? In mud if all you wheels are stopped and the truck is still sliding the abs module dose not know the truck is still moving the abs thinks the car is stopped. dose that make sense?

If 1,2,or even 3 of your wheels lock up but it sees one still spinning it will activate the abs. but if all 4 are locked up then it thinks the EX is stopped no need to activate the abs.

If this happens just pump the pedal these early abs systems are pretty useles offroad tahts why I took mine off.

Now on the newer explorers they have advanced track those systems have sensors on the wheels (norml abs) in the passanger compartments (yaw and accelerometer sensors) to tell the abs if the vehicle is moving or still, turning or gong straight , and on the steering wheel (to tell how much the wheels are turned).

So to ansewr your question nothing is wrong with Your abs.

Nate

The ABS light isn't suppose to comeon when it's activated. It only flashes or stays on if there is an issue.

-Drew

Thats what I thought. I wouldn't know cause my ABS light is on all the time.

What you are saying is that your abs dose not seem to be functioning properly? In mud if all you wheels are stopped and the truck is still sliding the abs module dose not know the truck is still moving the abs thinks the car is stopped. dose that make sense?

If 1,2,or even 3 of your wheels lock up but it sees one still spinning it will activate the abs. but if all 4 are locked up then it thinks the EX is stopped no need to activate the abs.

If this happens just pump the pedal these early abs systems are pretty useles offroad tahts why I took mine off.

Now on the newer explorers they have advanced track those systems have sensors on the wheels (norml abs) in the passanger compartments (yaw and accelerometer sensors) to tell the abs if the vehicle is moving or still, turning or gong straight , and on the steering wheel (to tell how much the wheels are turned).

So to ansewr your question nothing is wrong with Your abs.

Nate

Thanks for the input. I think you are absolutely right. All four wheels locked means the ABS system in early Explorers does not activate the system. The Haynes manual confirmed exactly what you are saying. I guess it's back to pumping the brakes in dicey situations. Thanks again.

Back