No Back BRAKES!!! Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Back BRAKES!!! Help

alethaldose

Reaction score
City, State
Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a '91 Eddie Bauer Ed., sometimes the antilock light on the dash comes on & sometimes it will stay on. I have no back brakes whatsoever, fronts work fine. I just need to know what to do to get the back brakes to work. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1) Bleed RABS valve. its on the driverside frame rail, only takes a box wrench. Bleed it like you would the wheel cylinders

2) Bleed the wheel cylinders after you bleed RABS

3) Readjust the brakes, check the edge of the drums to see if the pads have grooved the drum. If the drums are over 100k miles old, then more than likley they have grooved. They can be replaced, but it isnt completely necessary, you can turn them, or just force them on over the groove.

i went through the same thing this weekend. All that was wrong with mine was the fact the shoes were glazed over and the ajusters were down at 1 or 2 threads. I put one side at 10 threads out, and i think the other worked perfectly at 7 or 8 threads out. Go by whatever feels better (turning the drums) when you put the drums on

Only the yellow ABS light is coming on and not the RED brake light correct?

actually, i always thought mine would do this (only RABS light) when the shoes got very low...

now-a-days i dont see how it would know that with only the ring-tone sensor in the diffy, maybe it can?

The yellow ABS light only comes on during start-up (diagnostic system check) and if the system detects a fault in the ABS system. The RED brake light only comes on during start-up, if the E-Brake is on, or if the brake fluid in the master cyclinder is low (that is what the 2 wire sensor on the MC does).

Bleed the RABS valve, adjust the rear shoes properly, then bleed the rear brakes. Just as stated above. However disconnect the battery first. On my '92 if you don't the system interprets you bleeding the rears as a leak and shuts down the rear system, making it impossible to bleed. Reconnect the battery, make sure everything is tight and you should be good to go. If this doesn't fix the problem then you have a more serious issue. Could be a bad RABS valve, completely worn rear shoes or bad rear wheel cylinders. Good luck and keep us posted....

KC

Back