• Register Today It's free!

No start after cold

therise21

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT SOHC
Exery once in a while, my wxplorer wont start after its been pretty cold outside. Last night it was in the teens here, and this morning my ex wont start. Any idea what could cause this? The car turns over, it just never catches. its really frustrating. Any ideas?

well i got it started, let it sit for a while, then just held the key and pressed the gas and after like 30 seconds of turning it started. Still looking for suggestions to prevent this in the future.

flooring it

If by "held the key and pressed the gas" you mean depressing the accelerator all the way to floor and holding it there allows your engine to start when it wouldn't otherwise then that means the mixture is too rich. The PCM recognizes a fully depressed accelerator when cranking as a flooded engine situation. It disables the fuel injectors to clear the flooded engine.

I suggest that you clean the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner and also clean the IAC valve.

You may have leaking injectors. I suggest that you change the fuel filter if its been more than 30,000 miles since it was last changed and then add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to your fuel tank.

If you still have problems after the above are done then I suggest that you perform the Fuel pressure test procedure

Back